electrolyte

Kemizten

So I have another question. Silver iodide, AgI can work as a solid electrolyte. How can electricity pass through the silver iodide?

Im thinking that this must have something to do with interstitial sites. We know that iodide ions is much bigger than the silver ions. That means that the silverions can be found in these interstitial sites between the iodide ions. Does that mean that the ions can move around more and "carry" the electricity around?

Silver iodide is not ionic in the solid. It is covalent and adopts either the wurzite or zinc blende structure in 'macro molecules'.

As such it is the electrons that can be considered to move, as in Debye theory.

But

" [/size]Upon heating the solid to 146 °C, this material adopts the alpha-polymorph. In this form, the iodide ions form a rigid cubic framework"[/size]

So you mean that the silver as a solid electrolyte allow the movement of ions without the need for a liquid or soft membrane separating the electrode. The ions simply "jumps" around or through the solid. But then again, how can the ions do that? There must be some space for the ions to "land" on, like the interstitial sites I mentioned earlier.

Is that right?

I can't believe that the current is provided by mving Ag+ ions.

Just think how massive they are compared to electrons and the effect of piling billions of them up at one end of the conductor, which is what you are saying by saying that they conduct the current.

"So you mean that the silver as a solid electrolyte allow the movement of ions without the need for a liquid or soft membrane separating the electrode. "

Yes.

"I can't believe that the current is provided by mving Ag+ ions."

Nobody here is responsible for what you believe.

"I can't believe that the current is provided by mving Ag+ ions."

Nobody here is responsible for what you believe.

No, but you made a claim so kindly have the good grace as a styled house resident chemistry expert to explain.