Stopping Hiccups

I think anything that you think will work will work.

I think you think you're Morpheus (the crap one, not the classical one.)

Just stare at something for a while without thinking. Just stare. If you do it long enough (30 seconds maybe) you're cured.

That's just stupid. His diaphragm is spasming, not his concentration.

Use my suggestion. It has the distinct advantage of actually working.

It works for you because you are a weirdo.

The problem is pressure-related. I can't remember the exact mechanism, but plugging the ears and drinking is sort of the inverse of yawning to pop your ears during a change of altitude; it has something to do with the Eustachian tubules iirc. Glider might have some notion what it's all about.

Oh thank you.

The thing is, plugging your ears shouldn't do anything; no pressure is released from your ears, so plugging them wouldn't have an effect. I don't think.

I had a teacher who believed that you had to do something really silly involving acupressure points and pressing your knuckles on a hard surface; it worked for the one person I saw doing it. However, at the time, I tried it, but screwed up, so I just sat there staring at the clock for 30 seconds like you were supposed to do in the teacher's meathod. It worked just as well.

Placebo effect?

The thing is, plugging your ears shouldn't do anything; no pressure is released from your ears, so plugging them wouldn't have an effect. I don't think.

Then you'd be wrong. It's not that pressure needs to be 'released' from your ears; it's about differentials.

• 4 weeks later...

My son was in the hospital undergoing surgery for a pressure sore (he is a parapelegic) and he developed hiccups that would not go away for 3 days. They tried everything that they knew of--which was all of the homespun remedies common to American life. Anyway, along the way, he got a sore throat just about the time that his Mom and I were visiting, so I got some antiseptic mouthwash called Listerine for him to gargle with.

Bingo, the hiccups were gone. Nobody in the hospital knew why, the doctor said "hummmmmm" and walked off. :rolleyes:

Personally, I have always just taken a long dring of water, about all I can dring without breathing. That does it for me.

so I got some antiseptic mouthwash called Listerine for him to gargle with.

wow... i gotta do that sometime...btw, how did you know it would work? and how did you get it in the hospital?

Bingo, the hiccups were gone. Nobody in the hospital knew why, the doctor said "hummmmmm" and walked off...

what kind of a doctor is he anyway?

works for me:

hold breath

drink out the wrong side of glass (do it over a sink!)

apparently:

you cannot force yourself to hiccup, consequently if someone unexpectedly randomly and genuinely offered you money to hiccup again you couldnt do it, I've seen it work, but no guarantees, and it's kinda hard to plan in advance!

wow... i gotta do that sometime...btw, how did you know it would work? and how did you get it in the hospital?

We didn't. He gargled for the sore throat. Curing the hiccups was a side benefit. And I got it from a little store in the lobby of the hospital

what kind of a doctor is he anyway?

He was a surgeon who had corrected his pressure sore problem. He was fine as a surgeon, but I always thought doctors were supposed to know everything.

when i have hiccups i stop my breath for as long as i can. works every time!

I have to agree that works for me a 80% of the time too, a large shot of whiskey if that fails also works, I imagine it works on a similar principal to the Lemon, as well as act as a muscle relaxant.