Nature Finds a Way: Symbiotic Symbiosis

EdEarl

June 20, 2013 — Mealybugs only eat plant sap, but sap doesn't contain all the essential amino acids the insects need to survive. Luckily, the bugs have a symbiotic relationship with two species of bacteria -- one living inside the other in a situation unique to known biology -- to manufacture the nutrients sap doesn't provide.

From: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/06/130620142954.htm

It's worth saying again. Science is better than Sci-Fi or,

“Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.” -- Mark Twain

While it is pretty cool, I kind of dislike that science journalist really have to add things like "a situation unique to biology", as similar relationships have been described earlier. While I am not sure whether non-parasitic interactions of bacteria in bacteria are known, there have been plenty metabolic symbioses between say, protists and bacteria within arthropods are well known. But I guess this is more of a pet peeve of mine and should detract from the interesting points of the paper.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.