Is there such thing? Hydrogen Chloride??

albertlee

I know HCl (aq) exists, because it is a solution that is called Hydrochloric acid

but, what happened if I evaporate the water??

Will I get Hydrogen Chloride??

What does it look like and what kind of bonding it has??

thx

Albert

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hydrogen Chloride is a covalently bonded, colorless gas with a VERY sharp and irritating odor. It is incredibly soluble in water and forms hydrochloric acid upon dissolving. If you got rid of the water, sure you'd get HCl back. However, HCl will most likely volatalize and evaporate out of the solution before all the water does. So you'd have to heat the solution very gradually and have a way to get the HCl away from the water because it would want to dissolve right back in there.

i have to differ. i have 25 year old "muriatic acid" in my basement. it was 20%. it now fumes HCl when i open it and is supersaturated, no joke. i also must differ in opinion with regard to the statement that HCl is "ionically" bonded in the gaseous state. it really is quite relative to opinion. i would personally call it quite polar covalent

i have to differ. i have 25 year old "muriatic acid" in my basement. it was 20%. it now fumes HCl when i open it and is supersaturated, no joke. i also must differ in opinion with regard to the statement that HCl is "ionically" bonded in the gaseous state. it really is quite relative to opinion. i would personally call it quite polar covalent

Yeah, that was a typo on my part which has been corrected. HCl is most definitely a covalent bond. I was just thinking to myself as I was typing about how when it dissolves in water, it dissociates ionically. With your HCl, that was over a long period of time. If you were to just take a bottle of HCl and heat it up, you'd drive a lot of the HCl out of there until you get to an azeotropic point where you wouldn't be able to remove any more water.

2 things:

how would you get HCl (g) outta HCl (aq) ???

(^ pure HCl is a gas at room temp right?)

also surely as hydrochloric acid is HCl disolved in water wont that change the equation of it to something including the H2O?????

2 things:

how would you get HCl (g) outta HCl (aq) ???

(^ pure HCl is a gas at room temp right?)

also surely as hydrochloric acid is HCl disolved in water wont that change the equation of it to something including the H2O?????

^ anyone ^

? :confused: ?

thanks

all i know about HCl is that it has a horrible after taste.

Other than that its quite nice :)

yea, you can taste the HCl outta your stomach when you spew, thats the bitter taste.

budullewraagh ive got some 50% supersaturated stuff can yiou tell me what is the pH or what is the conc in molL-1? Also a side q, how can i seperate Zn from a solution of ZnCl as i dissolved yellow zinc in my Hcl and want pure zinc, will the chromate make a problem?

"Are Bitter and sour not the same i thought bases had a soapy taste like ehh...... soap"

Yeah, I thought of the same thing. Although, now that I thought of it, I realized that sour is probably "kirpeä" in Finnish (that's what you'd probably call pure lemon juice) and bitter is "hapan" like... err, old milk. :) Brilliant. :>

Sour and Bitter and not the same. If you look through any simple anatomy book, you will find that the human tongue can identify four distinct 'tastes'. Those are sweet, sour, salty, and bitter. Acids are detected by the taste buds as 'sour' which is why things like lemon juice, orange juice, vinegar, and other acidic foods have a sour taste. Basic substances are detected by the taste buds as 'bitter' which is why many plant based compounds (such as drugs), and soap taste bitter (Since they are derived from plants, or because soap itself is a basic substance). So the taste of soap is actually the classic 'bitter' taste. If you've ever seen those movies and shows where a big heroin buyer, or opium buyer, 'tastes' the product before a purchase, that's to taste and make sure it has a bitter taste. (Since it is a plant based basic compound, if the substance isn't bitter then they know it's not real). :D

lmao. Yeah, trying to do that would wind up getting you killed. Plus, the color would be completely off. I do know that heroin is frequently cut with compounds like cornstarch, or flour and quinine is added to it to keep the bitter taste. The idiots cut heroin with brown sugar and are generally shot as the sweet taste is a clear giveaway.