Alpha Centauri

Molotov

Alpha Centauri is very unique in that it is the closest system to our own sun (4.35 ly) and contains two sun like stars in a binary pair. According to this website,

http://homepage.sunrise.ch/homepage/schatzer/Alpha-Centauri.html

it is possible for planets to exist within 2 AUs of both stars. This distance also allows for planets to exist within both star's habital zone.

Do we not currently have the technology to see if there are actually planets orbiting these stars? I always assumed the VLT interferometric array in Chile would be capable of doing the job.

Somthing about Alpha Centauri has always intrigued me. Alpha Centuri A is a G2 type star and B is a K1 type star; they orbit each other every 80 years if I remember correctly. While A is the same spectral type as our sun, B is a colder star but well within the threshold of being able to support liquid water on a orbiting planet. I read a book by Isaac Asimov a while back which stated that both stars could support planets within the orbit of Jupiter; outside of that, they couldn't maintain a circurlar orbit due to the gravitaional pull of the second sun.

Proxima Centaui is not a close companion of the other 2 stars and cannot support life as we know it. There have also been disputes as whether or not it is a part of the Centauri system due to it's distance from the other 2.

Quick Edit...

It's difficult to detect planets in the system due to the binary stars. To date all planets have been discovered due to their gravitational force causing their star to wobble. Since binary stars cause themselves wobble, it's hard to detect a planetary gravitational influence.

Oh my, I'm a UBER nerd. :eek: