Fritted glass Buchner funnel versus Celite 545

An experiment that I am replicating calls for filtering of the product through a pad of Celite 545 but all I have is finely ground Celite 545 powder. Would it be enough to just filter the liquid product through a fritted glass Buchner funnel or should I put a layer of the Celite 545 on top of the filter as well? Basically, what is the role of Celite 545 in this experiment and do I have to use it? Because it is so finely ground I am worried about pulling it into my filtrate.

Thanks for your help!

You can always filter out any Celite that comes through the funnel. I personally add a layer of sand at the bottom of silica or celite plugs to avoid this, but if some comes through anyway then you can filter it through some filter paper or something similar. The only real purpose of it here is as a filtration aid. If you're using something like Pd on carbon, celite is very handy at filtering out the pesky carbon that that has a tendency to go through fritted funnels. If you're still not convinced, maybe try a silica plug instead?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! I went ahead and tried using the finely ground celite on top of the fritted glass funnel and everything came out alright. I think the trick was wetting it with my solvent before pouring it on top of the funnel. That way there was some cohesion to keep it from being pulled through during filtration. I appreciate all your advice.