wildlife services DYK?

menageriemanor

Surely Americans don't want wolves about the place? Wolves are dangerous wild animals. They will eat you if they can. It's a good job they were exterminated from the US. Why some US citizens should want to bring them back, seems a mystery.

That was a very biased report. ("The U.S. is Spending Your Money Killing Innocent Wildlife") It would be helpful to see an opposing viewpoint in order to come to a fair conclusion about what is going on.

Dekan - The US is a big country. We can manage to go about our daily business and have room for wolves also.

Surely Americans don't want wolves about the place? Wolves are dangerous wild animals. They will eat you if they can. It's a good job they were exterminated from the US. Why some US citizens should want to bring them back, seems a mystery.

You've brought up this topic before and had it explained before. It's only a mystery if you refuse to read evidence.

2) Wolves will not "eat you if they can". You've been reading too many fairytales. The actual risk of being attacked by a wolf: http://en.wikipedia....acks_on_humans. 11 Known attacks on humans in the previous decade. One in a zoo. Your chances of being struck by lightning are considerably better than being killed by a wolf. http://www.lightning...gov/medical.htm

1) There are demonstrable benefits to wolf reintroduction: http://rspb.royalsoc.../1612/995.short

Wolves are dangerous wild animals.

Whereas humans are dangerous civlised animals. In the competition wolf versus humans the score is currently very much in favour of the humans.

And in case you didn't notice, part of our success as a species is down to the wolf who came in from the cold and helped to domesticate us - now commonly known as Man's best friend. Perhaps you are a cat person. Or do you want the cougars stamped out too?

I realise it is a bit off-topic - but what do the membership think about re-introduction to the UK - I guess in reality this would mean Scotland (although I would love to see them in the home counties) . We are in the process of re-introducing the world's heaviest flying bird to Salisbury plains - I think a few wolves would be great. I, stand to be corrected, but I believe most of continental Europe have small wild populations of wolves