Missing posts

ok, everything seems to be disappearing... i accept occasionaly a post disappears for mod/admin reasons, but this is too much to be that...

Causing rotation of an object 1 post missing

1 and 1 loads missing

Old IDE cable loads missing

and that's just stuff that i happen to be looking at now and remember a post which isnt there.... also there isn't an admin or mod online at the moment... and even if there was earlier why soo much mass deleting? i remember some of those posts and they were applicable and on-topic.

so where did those posts go?

in fact i just used the sfn staff list to check all admins/mods accounts to see when they were last online... (out of those i could see) none have been on today at all and some of those posts i have seen earlier and due to those post's relavance i dont think they would have been moded/removed anyway.

Guest Stonecold

however we should attemt to contemplate whether or not the administrators if they are capable of fixing the error or not, will choose to keep this version with several new posts or the older one

well there will probably be some kind of server roll back but that would remove stuff like this and anything else (pressumably, that is, if they roll back the whole server)... i think if we know why this happened it'd be easier to answer can it be fixed?

i mean, if they were deleted they could be recovered, if part of the server has become corrupted then we're all gonna die!!!!!! (nah, but we wont get it back)

let's leave it to the admins coz we neither know nor can do anything about it.

hello 5614 and Stonecold,

I lost a thread with about 10 posts

I'd like to get it back, I was trying out calculating with some

different units based on natural constants and it was kind of interesting.

sorry to hear about your losing stuff too

hope the knowledgeable people here can get things restored!

I have also lost several posts. Not only that, I noticed that at one point the time it said that when I was last online, was not when I was last online.

Everything from within a particular time frame (i.e. yesterday evening to today) seems to have been lost wether its posts, new threads or new users.

Looks like a server-side rollback' date=' which could have been caused by problems at the hosting provider's end.

Possibly the mysql server was struggling for its life and kept trying to fix tables.[/quote']

what's the prognosis, if there is one?

What chance do you think the missing posts might eventually be restored?

woa dude, we lost like a whole page outta the

Does gravity work at absolute zero?

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7166&page=3

thread.

well martin, im not sure... it is unlikely that they will be restored, however i can't say whether it is humanly possible, it depends on whether the server just deleted things that are no longer needed after a restore or whether it has arhived them, this will vary with different servers and each server should have the option of archiving restored files.

however, if you are referring to that jedi force thingy then i must admit that you had typed A LOT and if an admin could work to get back one thread i think that your jedi thingy had the most work in it.

Delayed Y2K :)

5614 and Ophi,

I am going to try to reconstruct the "Jedi units" thread.

Wont you both please drop in

any kind of response---questions, heckling, kibbitz, even advice---

is a morale booster

there are about 10 posts-worth

that says why it is perspective-broadening to know more than just one

system of units and why it can be educational to test drive

some alternative system

and shows this particular system (based on giving some power-of-ten

values to some natural constants) and some easy exercises, so you get practice using it

This same thing happened on another forum in which I particpate, the following day when I went there, there was an obnoxious cartoon that said the site had been hacked and shut down by the "boys from Brazil".

I sure hope nothing like that is happening here.

I trust that we have enough hackers to form a counter attack if such a thing would happen. But I tend to doubt (or at least hope) that we are being hacked...tho some funny things have been going on with the server lately. It's been busy when there were only 5 or 6 people online, so I cant rule anything out.

it depends on the reason they went and even then individual settings on the server which would have been user set.

however whether we could restore those without loosing this is less likely... i mean, the admins could roll back the server, but then we'd lose even more,

i think it is unlikely that we will get em back, not saying it cant be done, just it's unlikely.... then again im not an admin i do not know, thats my guess!

200 is quite a lot, but martin's jedi thing aint back, neither are the 3 threads i posted in the original post of this thread... do you know WHERE those 200 are? how did you get them back?

even if i cant see em at the mo, thanks.