relation between Higgs boson and graviton.

michel123456

Higgs boson is what gives mass.

It is interaction with the higgs field that gives mass - the boson is the first level of excitation of the field. the standard model does not hang together mathematically if some of the constituents have mass - but we can measure this mass, ie further work was needed. so a field was postulated half a century ago that interestingly does not have zero amplitude as its ground state (the famous mexican hat potential) and through interaction with particles will cause them to have mass. this is the higgs field. one component of the higgs field will produce through quantum excitation a manifestation we can detect as a boson - I am not alone in not really understanding this

Mass is the cause (?) of gravity.

There must be some link.

Mass is only a cause amongst others not the sole cause. I agree and empathise with your use of the word must - but I am not sure that the universe cares about our logic. The cause of gravity on a quantum mechanical level is not known and the postulation of the graviton as the force carrying gauge boson is at the very beginning of this subject.

_Higgs is a boson.

_Graviton is a boson.

_Higgs is expected to have spin zero so it is attractive

_Graviton is expected to have spin 2.so it is attractive

The higgs and the graviton are not necessarily that similar just because they are both bosons (the classification between boson and fermion is broad - ie many very differing particles fit within the wide headings). The graviton is (might be) a gauge boson - a force carrier, the higgs boson is not. if a massless spin 2 boson is discovered it will be the graviton and it will be attractive - but the higgs is just not this sort of force carrier and the same logic does not apply

Thank you Imatfaal. Very instructive.

According to Frank Wilczek a Nobel Prizewinner for his work on (Asimtotic something or other) to do with particle physics says ( no doubt along with many other quantum Physicists) something to the effect

The Large Hadron Collider does not crash particles and the particles we are looking for chip off, which might be a common feeling. But rather: The colliding Hadrons , gold nuclei or whatever produce sufficiently high and specifically precise energy so as to CREATE a brand new particle ie an Higgs Boson that has not existed before , which then decays very rapidly into something else. This is a sort of creation event .

Now whether or not the colliding particles smash into the Higgs Field so to do,,,I do not know. The whole thing ( higgs boson and the higgs field ) is called the Higgs Mechanism , as far as I know .

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos