Is Praying an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?

Bill Angel

I filled out an online survey questioneer to participate in some research studies. The survey is called the Institutes for Behavior Resources (IBR) Participant Screening Survey and is at www.surveymonkey.com/s/groupbehavior. The IBR currently is screening for two studies in which the participants will participate in simulations of planetary exploration. (sounded interesting).

I was intrigued by one of the questions, shown below:

"15. Have you ever had a persistent, lasting thought or impulse to do something over and over that caused you considerable distress and interfered with normal routines, work, or your social relations? Examples would include repeatedly counting things, checking and rechecking on things you have done, washing and rewashing your hands, praying, or maintaining a very rigid schedule of daily activities form which you could not deviate."

So according to the formulators of this study, engaging in praying is an example of an obsessive compulsive disorder!

FYI: here is some additional information about the Institutes for Behavior Resourses

I think it was badly worded. Washing your hands isn't OC, washing them repeatedly is. Praying isn't OC unless you're praying all the time about every perceived sin or wish. And maybe not even then, although I think it would be OC if you couldn't NOT pray if you did something you'd normally pray about.