Need Some Help From The Experienced

SomethingToPonder

Hi all And thanks for reading my post, Im really new to the site so please excuse any mistakes.
I am really interested in studying experimental physics or astrophysics, I also enjoy chemistry a lot.
now here's my problem, When i was at school i never did very well. I have an above average IQ not that it matters much, and am intelligent on many levels But in mainstream education i never progressed really. I went my own way with learning to be honest and have done 3 college courses on varied subjects starting when i was 14. ( i left school really early)
Money isn't an issue much at the moment as far as a job goes and things as i am trading online very successfully at the moment. However it just isn't the field i want to get into.
I want to get a job in one of the above mentioned type areas of physics, But first i completely understand there is a Lot of studying to be done first and i am 100% willing to learn.
No one i know has been of much help to me in this area so im hoping maybe a couple of experienced people in the field on here could give me a few pointers and i would be very appreciative.
I do like to have everything planned out as best as i can before starting so as much information as possible would be appreciated.
where should i start? Can anyone tell me what courses i should be starting with at college level , Then what i should be progressing to etc.

I am very very keen and hold basic knowledge of most things and subjects and can demonstrate this in person, However qualifications are a problem.

Thanks in advance everyone smile.png

What you need to do depends on what level job you want.

You could enter at a junior technician level, I am not sure what the qualifications expected here would be. Every university or laboratory I know has a team of technicians in an engineering workshop.

With an undergraduate degree in physics, engineering, astronomy or something similar you could enter into a graduate scheme at an engineering company or similar. There is a lot of scope for "hands on" physics here.

If you want to work as a researcher at a university then the standard is a PhD in a relevant subject. I will say that this is very competitive.

I'm in the same boat as you, and by no means am an expert on anything. Just what i'm finding is to do what you are most passionate about, follow what you love, seek what intrigues you, Steve Jobs did it.

That man was a visionary, watch his speech to the 2005 graduating class of Harvard.

I don't care what anyone says, bill gates is a scumbag. Steve invented the mouse, the whole concept of having a cursor to move around on a computer. 3D pixelated graphics. Among with much much more people are oblivious to.

Btw just go up to your closest establishment of higher learning. They will be able to get you on your feet and looking towards where you need to go. I just started college, took some entry/placement tests, filed for my FAFSA grant ( these are government grants which will pay some of your education, and they are free ) http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ - is the link, claimed state residency, and now i'm a part time student. I'm at a crossroads between physics and psychology. Unsure yet which path to take but regardless I can always take the other after i've mastered one of them wink.png

Edited by too-open-minded

What you need to do depends on what level job you want.

You could enter at a junior technician level, I am not sure what the qualifications expected here would be. Every university or laboratory I know has a team of technicians in an engineering workshop.

With an undergraduate degree in physics, engineering, astronomy or something similar you could enter into a graduate scheme at an engineering company or similar. There is a lot of scope for "hands on" physics here.

If you want to work as a researcher at a university then the standard is a PhD in a relevant subject. I will say that this is very competitive.

Hi all and thanks for replying.
well to start with, if im going into a career I would be of course hoping to one day be working at the highest level.
As far as being a technician in a high school or uni goes to helpout, i wouldn't really be interested unless it was a stepping stone to some sort of acknowledgement that would possibly be as good as a qualification or something along the lines.

just to make it clear, I really have no qualifications, but would be willing to re-sit the tests for exams in college etc in order to even get into a course.I do not think it is possible to just walk in and say hey iv got no qualifications but im willing to learn, of course not. I am hoping for a realistic sort of approach to it all from the very beggining and was hoping someone may be able to help me "map out " the education programs roughly in which i would be aiming for in order.
I live in the UK so the courses may be different from those in america.

just for some advice to help anyone who may be willing to help me "map out" the courses.
. I would ultimately be aiming to get to the highest level of work possible. ( i realise this could be done many ways)
. I have little qualifications so assume that i have practically nothing, So courses from college upwards the most basic possibly. Just so that i have the Qualifications/degrees.
.I do have the intelligence to make it. (i Hope)

i realise that the people on here are much more experienced in the field however than most people at the companies that help you with courses and education. I look forward to your help. Thank you.

Too open minded, nice video.You are correct, Follow your passion eventually you WILL get your shot. if you stick at it and you know what your aiming for you will get where you want to be.
we dont have have fafsa here but we have something similar. Il look into it thank you.
Again, This is appreciated.

I live in the UK so the courses may be different from those in america.

So you want a research career at a university, that is very competitive, I know.

The standard route would be A-levels, an undergraduate degree, then maybe a masters and then a PhD. After that a job is nothing like certain, again I know from experience.

Everything ajb said. Note that the hard part is AFTER getting the PhD. Neither passion nor degree will guarantee you a career. It is more that once you realized what it entails, without passion there is no good reason to go through all the post-degree madness.

Everything ajb said. Note that the hard part is AFTER getting the PhD. Neither passion nor degree will guarantee you a career. It is more that once you realized what it entails, without passion there is no good reason to go through all the post-degree madness.

Thanks for everything, It is a passion of mine and has interested me for years. It's just something that im into if you know what i mean.

Thanks for the heads up about the research careers, I have heard how hard it is to get a job, But i suppose im going to need to at least try or i'l live the rest of my life wondering what if i had studied and stuck in at it and gotten a great job maybe even made some breakthroughs.

Im going to have to try, without a doubt. Thank you everyone for all your help =)