New Dimensions

herme3

I know that the first 3 dimensions are width, height, and length. However, science magazines are talking about how there could be many more dimensions. One scientist said that there are probably at least 20 dimensions. What are these new dimensions? The first 3 dimensions seem to enable us to move in all directions. If there are any more dimensions, what are their properties? Can we exist in them? Do other life forms exist in them?

Well here they is two different ideas of the 4th dimension and beyond.

The first idea is that the firtst dimension is time, it's actually not a idea it's true. You think we move through time and you can draw a space-time diagram and in this sense time is another dimension

The more abstract approach is the new dimensions being spacial. The is quite har to explain. Think of a dot it has no width, lenght or height and it is infinately small it is an 0th dimensional object. If you pulled the dot in a direction you would have a line it has a length it is 1 dimensional. Pull the line you get a square it has length and width it is two dimensional. If you pull the square in another direction you have height, width and length you have a cube a 3 dimensional object. Now pull the cube in another direction now I know it is very, very, very hard to visualise; infact it is impossible because our brains aren't suited to thinking this way. Now if you pull the cube in another direction you get a hypercube a 4 dimensional shape. And you can carry on doing this.

This is what I think is a brilliant site if you are interested in dimensions and there is a good forum attached to talk about this type of stuff:

http://tetraspace.alkaline.org/

Also you could google for some animations of the 4th dimension you might find some things that make it a little easier to understand.

The at least 20 dimension is probally related to string theory where there is predicted to be at least 10 dimensions. Have a look at string theory here:

http://superstringtheory.com/

Have fun :)

Time does not exist!
He may be right.

The only reality is just the physical here and now. The previous states do not exist anymore. Its not like there is some sort of "cosmic cache" which stores all the states somewhere.

I know, I know. Conservation of information...

But there could be multiple histories that would create the 'curent state.'

Well, I dont know where I'm going with this :D