How long before quantum computers are commercially available?

fafalone

How long before quantum computers are mainstream?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How long before quantum computers are mainstream?

• 1-4 years
    • 5-10 years
    • 11-20 years
    • More than 20 years
    • Not in my lifetime
    • I have no idea

Quantum computing is still in its infancy, but we're rapidly making progress. Check out my new review of our progress in quantum computing, then vote on your opinion on how long it will be before the first functional quantum computers are used in businesses.

Are you aware of what kind of systems were used in those experiments you outlined in that article faf?

I will stick with Dr. Kaku's prediction of beyond 2100 before we see those kinds of machines accessable to business and the public.

Although quantumn transistors could come before then (sorry, i don't know the actual term for that kind of transistor. but it susses a single electron).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

quantum computers are a imensly long way off, but hell will they be good when they come! they'll be the biggest invention in computers, since the first creation of a coputer 50 odd years ago.

and once they become reasonably priced, they'll be even more popular than windows is at the moment! instead of programers getting all the money, it will be scientists, suddenly, the computer experts of the nations, will want to be physicst, it will be a big day for physics.

but a long way off all the same!

Windows isn't popular! It's a standard that we can't go around and I HATE IT...

whethere you like windows or not, they are highly popular, and they are the world's market leading company in sales of operating systems!

quantum computers are a imensly long way off' date=' but hell will they be good when they come! they'll be the biggest invention in computers, since the first creation of a coputer 50 odd years ago.

and once they become reasonably priced, they'll be even more popular than windows is at the moment! instead of programers getting all the money, it will be scientists, suddenly, the computer experts of the nations, will want to be physicst, it will be a big day for physics.

but a long way off all the same![/quote']

I quite disagree about the fact that scientists getting all the money because there is a higher ratio of computer softwares than computer hardwares.....

quite true, still, the scientist who makes one, only needs to sell the design to a company such as dell, or otherwise, to become a millionaire! and then sell it to another company, to become a billionaire.

and he'll become [or she] become world famous... more money!

the software engineers will get the same money as they do at the moment! the more powerful computers, dont mean more expensive software, only software which can use more powerful resources, they cant really charge more money... or it wont sell! you could still run normal programs on a quantum computer, all games would be sooooo smooth!

Anyone predicting a few decades is going to be way off, we haven't even buitl one that is remotely useful:

Take the example quote facorizing 15: to give you some perspective on this, for numbers as small as 15 the quantum algorithm is actually about 150 times slower than the classical algorithm!!!! The quantum algorithm only comes into it's own when when factorizing very large numbers (even for a number like 7,857,567,342 the classical algorithm is faster). QUantum computing has many, many hurdles to overcome before it is viable, inafct Dr. Kaku's prediction is probably on the optimistic side.

yes i agree, although, if you think about how long it took classical computers to evolve, lets say what, 50 years, from the first, to what we have now,

the first quantum computer has been built, completley useless, but its still started the [what for classical computers] was a 50 year cycle,

obviously quantum computers are more advacne, however, computers are immensley popular, there will be alot of resources going into this, additionally all the bases are there. e.g. programs, operating systems, programming languages, so maybe it will be approximately 50 years.