I have lots of Lithium, what should I do with it?

Caustic

I recently bought around 90 lithium batteries from a government auction. They are the button type measuring a little under an inch across.

What could i use these for? besides their intended electrical use.

When disassembled there are 2 halves, one is full of what appears to be carbon powder and some sort of electrolyte, and the other side is just a chunk of Li metal.

One neat thing i discovered is that the Li ignites from friction and violently burns a hot red colo(u)r. It burned so hot that it ate away a little crater in the concrete. I like to make fireworks and was thinking the Li could make some nice effects.

I have lots of KNO3 and was thinking about trying to isolate the K with the Li if it isnt too difficult.

Any suggestions?

yeah, give me half of them :)

personaly, I use the batts until dead, THEN pop them open.

put the lot in a beaker of hot water and give it a good stir, filter out the obvious solids, leaving my LiOH.

normaly from there I Nitrate it, Crystalise and store it :)

as for K metal extraction, Good Luck, there`s been a few here that have tried it, non with K metal as result :)

i like how clean this forum is. there are certain...reductions...you could do with them that i would not advise you to do, as there would be certain...reprocussions...for doing them.

interesting how the government gave you materials to synthesize certain drugs...

i suggest you keep a little of the metal in a container just for the novelty of it and use it to reduce oxidized metals so you can get a nice element collection. if you were really ambitious you could do some really exotic thermites

yeah, i'd definitely waste a little thermiting some vanadium pentoxide, cobalt oxide, etc for example. would have to be done in an inert atmosphere tho, which could make things a little difficult. good thing is that i could just electrolyze it back to the metal after finishing. i guess you could say that i could just form the chlorides of the metals in the first place and electrolyze them but hey, thermites look cool:\

i dunno, i have little use for alkali metals and generally people shouldn't, unless they really feel like getting into the drug business

"as for K metal extraction, Good Luck, there`s been a few here that have tried it, non with K metal as result"

Heh, I hope Caustic doesn't end up with a molten potassium blob up his nose. :eek:

I'd personally use lithium to displace thorium from lantern mantle ash. :) Or wouldn't, in the case FBI or the like are monitoring this thread... *walks away whistling*

Hmmh... You could separate hydrogen from HCl with lithium quite easily. I can't see why anyone would like to spend lithium for that purpose though. :P

You can get hydrogen from water with lithium, it's neat to watch a metal just disappear into a cup of water amid a bunch of hydrogen bubbles.

what that really happens in water,i wear my watch in the bath which isnt water proof,could it burn my wrist..i fail to see the reference to drugs though who would want to eat lithium batteries for a high

I'm sure the batteries are well sealed because if they weren't, just the oxygen in the atmosphere could oxidize about all the lithium in the battery away to Li2O in a matter of hours or days.

lithium is an anti-depressant. snort it and you will get really buzzed. REMEMBER: DRUGS ARE BAD

i believe thats the carbonate salt of lithium that is used as an anti-depressant. the metal wouldnt be...healthy if pure.

..i fail to see the reference to drugs though who would want to eat lithium batteries for a high

i was referring to using lithium in birch reductions

The anion does not matter. It's the Li+ ion that handles all the action. Li2CO3 is commonly used because it's cheap, it's fairly non-reactive, and it's easily absorbed by the body. However, LiCl could be used if one wanted. Anything that will give you that Li+ ion would work. (So really, if you didn't mind the intense pain and burns from doing it, you could just chew on some pure metal. heh).