Preferred CV Format for Biology?

Absinthianesque

Hi Everyone!

I've enjoyed reading these forums for quite a while but have never felt the need to post before.

I'm hoping to get a few opinions on if there is a preferred format for a CV in the field of Biology/Ecology? I'm working on writing mine up; I'm applying for a M.S./PhD RA position (if that makes a difference). Links to examples would be greatly appreciated too.

Thank you.

The form of the CV tends to be more dependent on what you apply for (industrial, academic, type of position), rather than the field. That being said, for PhD applications standard material are:

- a cover letter stating your interests and why you are a good fit; do not repeat CV here, but rather give your profile another dimension

- CV in a in tabular form, highlighting education (on that level attended courses and grades are often shown), lab experience (i.e. undergrad research), teaching experience (e.g. as TA).

To be honest, most applications at that level look very similar, so it is somewhat important to have a cover letter that is well-written.

Thank you for getting back to me and the heads up about the cover letter.

So, if I am understanding your reply correctly, other than tabular form, there's a bit of flexibility in designating headings etc.? I have Education, Employment, Related Experience, Research, Presentations, and Related Skills. Does that sound ok?

Thanks again for your input.

There is no fixed form to which you have to adhere. I would put research higher up and without details I do know how related experience would differ from related skills. Another thing to remember is to keep it short and concise. Few like to read through a lot of fluff.

There are no “official” rules for headings, formatting and organizing the content for your resume. Based on the feedback we receive from thousands of employers, we know that there are general principles that make your resume more readable; however, your resume will always be the combination of your personal style reflecting the needs and expectations of a particular industry. This video will provide tips on how to best use headings and formatting to best highlight your experience for employers.

certificate iv in training and assessment Perth

certificate 4 in training and assessment

My format (the basic NIH style) is as follows:

Name, address, email

Education/ degrees/ majors

[relevant] employment and research experience

Dates, Title, Organization PI or supervisor and 1 bullet point about the work

Awards (date and title)

Publications (including abstracts and reviews)

Memberships in professional societies/clubs

Grades [if transcript isn't submitted separately and its not for a job]