How to hack/disrupt a Magnetic flow meter?

raid517

I don't think information on it's own is illegal. If that were the case then half of the consumer goods you use now that are electrical, or electronic in origin would be illegal, as they have been similarly tested in the past. I am interested to know if there is a weakness in the system, I think other parties who design these systems might be interested to know if there is a weakness in this system too.

If you do not wish to comment then I invite you and others who feel similarly not to do so. That is your prerogative.

I think I'm getting enough of an idea from reading around about these systems of possible ways they could be influenced or controlled. My interest in this topic, with the greatest of respect, is unlikely to diminish with your approval, or disapproval. It's a matter of proof of principle, and that is all at this juncture. As I said I don't know yet how or if I will use the information, but curiosity still drives me to ask if it is possible.

Edited by raid517

!

Moderator Note

Since it's hard to imagine a legal reason to disrupt readings on any kind of meter, please give us a reason to believe your thread doesn't violate our rule Section 2.3aiii or we'll need to close this. Mere curiosity isn't sufficient, since your noble and purely academic intentions might be sullied by a nefarious anonymous user at some future date.

I repeat only that I have a passing interest in physics and electromechanics, and became curious about the function and operation of these systems after a conversation with a friend. It seemed after reading about them that some form of disruption might be possible and it was of interest to myself, my friend - and potentially the manufacturers of these devices if a passive form of disruption could be devised.

My curiosity in this matter is in the same light that all hacking and disrupting practices take place, insomuch that ultimately by testing systems one can design more robust solutions. I don't see anything wrong with this, and I refute the suggestion that I have an intention of using the information for any kind of personal gain.

But if you feel you must close the thread and close down discussion, then this is your prerogative also.

Edit:

I have saved you the trouble.

There are probably other forums with more sober people who don't fear discussing how the many products in our world can be tested, perhaps even to breaking point, in order that they might be subsequently improved upon. Simply assuming ulterior motives, is like calling every hacker, ever inventor and every engineer who ever existed, a 'criminal.'

Clearly however, all of our energies are best spent elsewhere.

Edited by raid517

I repeat only that I have a passing interest in physics and electromechanics, and became curious about the function and operation of these systems after a conversation with a friend. It seemed after reading about them that some form of disruption might be possible and it was of interest to myself, my friend - and potentially the manufacturers of these devices if a passive form of disruption could be devised.

My curiosity in this matter is in the same light that all hacking and disrupting practices take place, insomuch that ultimately by testing systems one can design more robust solutions. I don't see anything wrong with this, and I refute the suggestion that I have an intention of using the information for any kind of personal gain.

But if you feel you must close the thread and close down discussion, then this is your prerogative also.

Edit:

I have saved you the trouble.

There are probably other forums with more sober people who don't fear discussing how the many products in our world can be tested, perhaps even to breaking point, in order that they might be subsequently improved upon. Simply assuming ulterior motives, is like calling every hacker, ever inventor and every engineer who ever existed, a 'criminal.'

Clearly however, all of our energies are best spent elsewhere.

!

Moderator Note

Thanks very much for blanking the OP. I only asked you to give me a reason this wouldn't be considered illegal, in order to protect the site owners from litigation. Perhaps someday when you've been tasked with enforcing rules, you will remember your overreaction fondly.

Thread rendered useless by starter, closed.