Progeny- before and after a condition

amt7565

Let's say a 20 year old man named Peter, has below normal health due to his smoking habit and a lifestyle of poor nutritional diet. He has a child with his wife and a daughter is born.

During the next 5 years, Peter changes his lifestyle drastically. He quits smoking and improves his diet. Further, he also embarks on a regimented exercise program and builds an impressive physique. He becomes an athlete. At age 25, he has another daughter.

Considering all other things constant (wife has no changes in her lifestyle and neither has the first born), will the second daughter possess superior genes?

Thank you for your insight.

AMT-

Edited by amt7565

From a genetic viewpoint: no.

With regards to other factors, it may increase fertilization chance (e.g. higher live sperm count) but for the most part the health status of the mother has a much higher impact on child health. But it is possible that there are studies suggesting otherwise that I am not aware of.

Edited by CharonY

There is evidence that smoking can cause germ line DNA damage, which can then be inherited by the progeny.

http://cancerres.aac...1/5103.abstract

And another suggesting germ line damage due to air pollution.

http://www.pnas.org/content/105/2/605.full

These studies are both mouse based studies and the evidence is a concern. However, it would be interesting to see the same phenomenon across different genetic strains of mice. The second study included C57 black mice and also CBA mice. I wonder what influenced the authors to choose these particular genetic strains. Are they more resistant or less resistant to genetic stress? Why not use the ubiquitous BALB/c white mice?

Despite my doubts, if the findings can be applied to humans, these are pretty serious results. Does that mean that people in heavily populated cities are carrying germ line mutations which have affected their progeny for generations? I am worried!

Edited by jimmydasaint

C57 are pretty much a standard all-purpose strain. CBA is similar, but IIRC they (or a substrain thereof) had a lower natural incidence of leukemia and is often used in tumor research.

Beside the issue with translation to human health, we are also constantly challenged by pollutants in other sources that are likely to affect our germline. Women are especially susceptible, though (for obvious reasons). So it will boil down to the question of concentration. I also want to point out that the mice were exposed to two cigarettes daily, which is quite a a bit when measured against body weight.

C57 are pretty much a standard all-purpose strain. CBA is similar, but IIRC they (or a substrain thereof) had a lower natural incidence of leukemia and is often used in tumor research.

Beside the issue with translation to human health, we are also constantly challenged by pollutants in other sources that are likely to affect our germline. Women are especially susceptible, though (for obvious reasons). So it will boil down to the question of concentration. I also want to point out that the mice were exposed to two cigarettes daily, which is quite a a bit when measured against body weight.

I don't want to drift the topic, but you bring up an interesting point. It does boil down to concentration of a particular substance within the study. But what is often difficult to assess is all the hundreds or thousands of "other sources". What is the interaction of these other substances? So in a controlled experiment with mice, a certain concentration may be detrimental to the germ line. But if you expose the mice to all the other potential pollutants that assault our bodies daily, you may find that the threshold (might be a better term to use here) concentration is actually much lower due to synergistic interactions of the other pollutants.

Edited by akh

That is quite possible and of major concern as most tox studies are not suited to identify synergistic effects (just imagine the needed throughput). That is why I am a proponent of funding mechanism-based toxicology. But that is really getting off-topic now.