Information input and emotions

Mellinia

Does completely rejecting a particular input of information (eg not listening to the surroundings) prevent emotional output that arises from evaluating that input? e.g. If you see one killing another you will feel disgust but a blind person doesn't.

If so, does abstaining from information input actually produces a state of mind which is free of emotions?

I think the perception (or information input) is less relevant than the knowledge of the event taking place and the social norms that have been established. You could close your eyes, or be blind, but if you know someone is being murdered you are still going to compare that experience against the social norms established in your local tribe, community, or society... regardless of having the visual input restricted.

I think the perception (or information input) is less relevant than the knowledge of the event taking place and the social norms that have been established. You could close your eyes, or be blind, but if you know someone is being murdered you are still going to compare that experience against the social norms established in your local tribe, community, or society... regardless of having the visual input restricted.

So, if you don't know someone is being murdered then you won't have any reaction, then?

Hmm, what happens if the observer does not perceive it as murder? Then the reaction would be different...

So, if you don't know someone is being murdered then you won't have any reaction, then?

What do you think?

Hmm, what happens if the observer does not perceive it as murder? Then the reaction would be different...

Correct. The way we interpret a given situation dictates how we respond to it.

What do you think?

Correct. The way we interpret a given situation dictates how we respond to it.

Hmm, i don't think i will get any reaction. Because I don't have any input to show an output

So, basically we can cheat polygraph if we can convince ourselves that we are not lying?