Proving Why Extraterrestrials Exist

w0rld

So, I was sitting around after reading Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku (a must read for any scientist,) specifically the chapter on extraterrestrials. I was thinking: If the universe is infinite, there are an infinite number of worlds, stars, nebulae, etc. So, it's kind of like having a relatively easy equation in an infinite amount of time. It might take you a little bit of time, and a number of screw ups (screw ups: Saturn, Mars, Venus, etc.) until you get the answer (Earth.) Even if the equation of making a planet is nearly impossible, you will eventually solve it. So, you get one planet with life, or even one that supports life, and a quadrillion worlds that don't, you start the equation over agin, as you have an infinite time to do it again (we live in an infinitely large and ever expanding universe, so that is your time to do it.) So, what I'm trying to say is, in an infinite universe, the qualifications can't only be met one time. Also, from a different perspective, the "Many Worlds Theory" of quantum physics. If you think about it, all of the infinite number of Universes could fit into this universe, because one universe is a "smaller infinity" than the thing that holds them. So, if in a parallel universe extraterrestrial life exists, that entire universe will fit into ours, hence extraterrestrial life exists in our universe. Please, if you have an opinion, or you have thought the same thing, please reply.

Using math this way can arrive at a "proof", but for scientific purposes, "proof" is incorrect. We can say it is extremely likely that extraterrestrial life exists, but there will always exist a slight possibility that we're all there is. Until we're not.

On the other hand this is a proof based on words and not data. The likelihood of life could have been infinitesimally small and we were just damn lucky that tiny chance came through. Starting with a different theory we could have come to the conclusion that life was not possible.

I was thinking: If the universe is infinite, there are an infinite number of worlds, stars, nebulae, etc. So, it's kind of like having a relatively easy equation in an infinite amount of time.

We don't know if the entire Universe is infinite in spacial extent. The topology of the Universe is an unsolved question. So this is an assertion on your part.

However, I do think that given the fact our Universe is large (in space) there is a reasonable chance that life exists elsewhere. I would not like to quantify that statement.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure about infinite universe, but do agree on extraterrestrial life, the numbers are just to high, and there have been several extinction events through history of planet earth and every time life found a way, so saying life is difficult to form would be false, in fact it seems like life forms very easily in right conditions the proof is earth

Not sure about infinite universe, but do agree on extraterrestrial life, the numbers are just to high, and there have been several extinction events through history of planet earth and every time life found a way, so saying life is difficult to form would be false, in fact it seems like life forms very easily in right conditions the proof is earth

I don't think life on earth proves that life forms very easily. As far as we can tell life only ever began once in earth's history, and no new life ever began at extinction events. You can look at the numbers that are ''too high" all you want, but cold hard observation doesn't support your position.

• 2 weeks later...