Common sense

dimreepr

Too often I hear this used as a way of belittling others, especially academics or experts who don’t happen to share a mechanical or constructional bent. For me the definition is something we all should know without an education, such as fire burns or walk in front of a moving car is dangerous, however friends insist it includes a standard education, but what is that? And when is it completed? For the average non academic most learning is done outside of the ‘school’ environment and it never ceases, so when can we say common sense is complete and therefore a term that can reasonably be used to deride others when violated: 20 40 60?

I consider common sense to be an age-defined thought process, and not really a single body of knowledge we all share. We wouldn't expect a five-year-old to have as much common sense as a ten-year-old, and we expect more from an adult than we do a teenager. To me, common sense is about putting together what you know, not what knowledge people have "in common".

It definitely has other meanings to other people. You hear it being used in an, "Everyone knows THAT" kind of way. But I think it's more about thinking things through to a rational outcome. If you can see that the door won't open when you push on it, common sense should tell you to try pulling on it instead of giving up or pushing harder.

I often hear 'it's just common sense' being used to justify unjustifiable positions - political, economic, moral. No facts, no logic, and little thought - but it's a common prejudice therefore it's common sense and it's correct.

I agree with imatfaal. Common sense is the means by which we unintentionally fool ourselves. We have not evolved to be perfectly rationally thinking animals. Therefore, any position that relies on common sense as a rationale should be questioned until a more objective basis can be established.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman