To smile or not to smile?

Mr Rayon

Hi,

In the social setting, is it better to give fake smiles or not smile at all?

How do you react when somebody gives you fake smiles and you know that they are fake? How does your reaction differ with someone who is honest and genuine but does not give fake smiles?

Who would you prefer to befriend?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

It's better to give real smiles, and to avoid the sort of people or situations around whom or in which you would feel the need to fake smile.

I would prefer to befriend neither, and to go find a person who is genuinely cheery.

Idk, I mean is it just me or when you make eye contact with people you don't know, you do that awkward smirk thing with most the time it being mutual?

That generally shows a lack of confidence in yourself. In the evolutionary past, quite often prolonged eye contact meant your were either going to fight or fornicate. Looking away was a quick way to avoid conflict and confrontation... The awkward smirk you mention is today's version of avoiding conflict, and is IMO more common in those who lack self-confidence in various ways.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar paradox, but learned that a voluntary smile can bring an involuntary smile to another person, because it's a nonverbal connection making them feel good.

Realizing the connection is key.

Ever since then I can more often bring on a genuine voluntary smile. The anticipation of a return smile and the bubbly feeling you know to have stirred in them is catalyst enough! :)

A fake smile is a dangerous thing in human life. Fake smile always try to convince human mind and then throw him in a problem.

I disagree. It's possible to use a fake smile of your own to encourage one via the mirror neuron phenomenon in someone else who may be depressed or otherwise melancholic.

A fake smile is a dangerous thing in human life. Fake smile always try to convince human mind and then throw him in a problem.

I disagree. It's possible to use a fake smile of your own to encourage one via the mirror neuron phenomenon in someone else who may be depressed or otherwise melancholic.

I agree with iNow but from a different perspective - there are many social situations in which a fake smile sends the message "I realise and accept you are struggling through this social scenario, I am also struggling through it; but now you know that I know and I know that you know" - and thus two people without further interaction have gained insight and confidence merely through the transmission of a forced and faked smile

What are the factors that makes you smile? answer and follow through your answer with a question and/or accept your answer.

I made this sentence since your question makes me think that your not seeking for a definitive answer. My apologies if I have not answered responsibly.