Fundamentalists and Evo..Set Theory?

Greg H.

Ran across an interesting blog entry at Evolution Blog which reads, on part

Unlike the "modern math" theorists, who believe that mathematics is a creation of man and thus arbitrary and relative, A Beka Book teaches that the laws of mathematics are a creation of God and thus absolute. Man's task is to search out and make use of the laws of the universe, both scientific and mathematical.

Of all the crazy things! What could possibly be wrong with set theory?

I had not heard of this objection to mathematical principles, but I thought I would bring the discussion "home" as it were, as well as ask - has anyone here run into this denial of mathematics before? This is the first I am hearing about it.

Edited by Greg H.

There is a usual subject of discussion among mathematicians as to whether or not new mathematics is discovered or created - in either case by mathematicians. I suppose if you are a creationist you can simply argue for the discovery side and say that god created it.

Yeah, but that doesn't even seem to be what they're on about. They want to actively cut out parts of mathematics:

From the A Beka Book website

A Beka Book provides attractive, legible, and workable traditional mathematics texts that are not burdened with modern theories such as set theory.

After all we don't want to burden our kids with all those pesky math skills.

I guess the warped and dangerous logic (and I use that word quite wrongly) is that if mathematics is God's creation then it must be perfect and thus cannot be self-contradictory; however, set theory and Russell's paradox make that a little shaky (even if Russell's paradox can be avoided in less naive set theory). I bet they don't teach Godel's ideas.

http://www.abeka.com/Distinctives.aspx

Wow!

Another idea I read in the original blog post (linked in the OP) was that they disagree with the idea that you can have multiple infinities since, as they put it, the only infinity is God.

Did we suddenly fall back into the 16 and 17th century and no one told me? Should I be looking for the blue box and a ride back to the time when things made sense?

Mathematics

The study of logic and order to apply to science and daily life

Unlike the "modern math" theorists, who believe that mathematics is a creation of man and thus arbitrary and relative, A Beka Book teaches that the laws of mathematics are a creation of God and thus absolute. Man's task is to search out and make use of the laws of the universe, both scientific and mathematical.

A Beka Book provides attractive, legible, and workable traditional mathematics texts that are not burdened with modern theories such as set theory. These books have been field-tested, revised, and used successfully for many years, making them classics with up-to-date appeal. Besides training students in the basic skills needed for life, A Beka Book traditional mathematics books teach students to believe in absolutes, to work diligently for right answers, and to see mathematical facts as part of the truth and order built into the real universe.

Science/Health

The investigation of variety, order, and reasonableness revealed in creation

While secular science textbooks present modern science as the opposite of faith, the A Beka Book science texts teach that modern science is the product of Western man's return to the Scriptures after the Protestant Reformation, leading to his desire to understand and subdue the earth, which he saw as the orderly, law-­abiding creation of the God of the Bible.

The A Beka Book Science and Health Program presents the universe as the direct creation of God and refutes the man-made idea of evolution. Further, the books present God as the Great Designer and Lawgiver, without Whom the evident design and laws of nature would be inexplicable. They give a solid foundation in all areas of science—a foundation firmly anchored to Scriptural truth. Teachability is assured through accurate, interesting writing, carefully planned demonstrations that can be performed with a minimum of equipment, chapter terms and questions, full-color illustrations, consideration of the interests and comprehension skills of students at each grade level, and detailed Curriculum/Lesson Plans.

Not only do they exclude certain parts of mathematics, but also claim that their science / health books give a solid foundation in all areas of science. :blink: However, they have no problem with denying scientific evidence or bearing false witness.

Edited by Daedalus

What confuses me is why parents are willing to risk their children's futures bu deliberately limiting their educations because the subject matter appears to contradict their faith. Is their faith so important to them that they're willing to deliberately blind and fetter their children with the shackles of a substandard education in science and math?

I'd be curious to see what the history books actually contain, too, for that matter.

What confuses me is why parents are willing to risk their children's futures bu deliberately limiting their educations because the subject matter appears to contradict their faith. Is their faith so important to them that they're willing to deliberately blind and fetter their children with the shackles of a substandard education in science and math?

I'd be curious to see what the history books actually contain, too, for that matter.

It's an interesting logical conundrum for the parents - if they truly believe with every fibre of their being (which I am terribly afraid many of them do) then they might feel they have to make a decision for their child between temporal worldly happiness versus eternal salvation after death. It's maddening and completely wrong that some parents will take that choice for their child; many will justify it by claiming that the child can make their own way/decision as they mature but by then the damage is done.

This links in well with Tom Swansons latest blog about Kentucky politicians being astounded that their students were at a distinct disadvantage in life sciences when reaching college level as many were not being taught evolutionary theory

It's an interesting logical conundrum for the parents - if they truly believe with every fibre of their being (which I am terribly afraid many of them do) then they might feel they have to make a decision for their child between temporal worldly happiness versus eternal salvation after death. It's maddening and completely wrong that some parents will take that choice for their child; many will justify it by claiming that the child can make their own way/decision as they mature but by then the damage is done.

This links in well with Tom Swansons latest blog about Kentucky politicians being astounded that their students were at a distinct disadvantage in life sciences when reaching college level as many were not being taught evolutionary theory

I haven't read that update yet, but I'll head over and check it out.

I think more parents need to be involved in what their kids are learning, and more importantly, what they are going to be expected to know when the reach the college level, and insist that the schools provide the appropriate curriculum.

Is this thread going to devolve into mindless Bible bashing?

I'm just wondering so I can stay away.

No, it looks as if it is going to descend into mindless defence of a religion even in the face of certain parts of that religion deliberately creating a sub-standard education system.

!

Moderator Note

afungusamongus,
Your last post is at best a logical fallacy, and achieved nothing for this discussion. Please either write a useful contribution to the discussion, or do not write at all on our forum.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Do not reply to this mod note. If you have problems with it, use the report button at the bottom left corner of this post.