Should this make a case for disparity, or desperation?

rigney

I may be running headlong into a brick wall with my head down and my thoughts in high gear, but as a concerned and conservative American, is this the way for a sitting president to approach his overall constituency? Some of the other videos are quite good and actually equate the inequality of some bigoted Americans. But is this the action of a president grasping at a self induced strawman?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BdjoHA5ocwU

Edited by rigney

From the video link: "President Obama Announces the 2012 Launch of African Americans for Obama"

This month, we're announcing the 2012 launch of African Americans for Obama.

And I don't think there is a better time than African American History Month to consider the tremendous progress we've made through the sacrifices of so many.

Or a better time to commit to meeting the very real challenges we face right now.

Every day, I think of the generations of African American men and women who overcame slavery and oppression. Who risked their own safety to cast a ballot.

Even gave up their lives to help build a country that lived up to its founding principles.

Their extraordinary hope, their unwavering determination, changed this country.

Their efforts made it possible for somebody like me to be here today.

This is another moment where we've got to decide what kind of country we want to be.

We can either settle for a country where a shrinking number of people do really well, or we can build a nation where everybody gets a fair shot.

Everybody does their fair share.

Everybody plays by the same rules.

This campaign is powered by folks at every level taking ownership where it matters most:

Around the kitchen table, in barbershops and beauty salons, in your faith community, at work, or at school.

And, of course, in the voting booth this election day.

Because we are greater together than we can ever be on our own.

Visit AfricanAmericans.barackobama.com for more information about all the ways you can get involved.

From attending HBCU organizing workshops, to becoming a Congregation Captain.

And say you're ready to keep making history. Thanks. And see you out there.

Just a friendly note Rigney - especially for a new thread it helps to have at least the title or topic behind a video link, instead of just your question about the video link. No need to go full-quote I just did that for my benefit.

As to your first question I don't think he is addressing his overall constituency but reaching out to a specific demographic - something both sitting and potential presidents have always done during campaigns. What specifically bothers you about it? To the second question, what is the self induced strawman? I don't see it on the face of that video, so you'll have to be a bit more specific. As to "other videos" there are millions of them, not sure which out of those you're referring to.

From the video link: "President Obama Announces the 2012 Launch of African Americans for Obama"

Just a friendly note Rigney - especially for a new thread it helps to have at least the title or topic behind a video link, instead of just your question about the video link. No need to go full-quote I just did that for my benefit.

As to your first question I don't think he is addressing his overall constituency but reaching out to a specific demographic - something both sitting and potential presidents have always done during campaigns. What specifically bothers you about it? To the second question, what is the self induced strawman? I don't see it on the face of that video, so you'll have to be a bit more specific. As to "other videos" there are millions of them, not sure which out of those you're referring to.

What are specific demographics? Would a white opponent call out the Poles, Checzs, Germans , English or French to band together, accomplishing the same end? Can you imagine a caucasion making the same statement, but saying "White people, stand behind me, I need your vote to throw this black man out of office"? That is one of my questions and one of my problems. No caucasion in his rightr mind would have the mendacity or untruthfulness to grandstand such an edict. And the other videos were I mentioned were atteched to the initial link. So, don't make it look so clandstine. Edited by rigney

What are specific demographics? Would a white opponent call out the Poles, Checzs, Germans , English or French to band together, accomplishing the same end? Can you imagine a caucasion making the same statement, but saying "White people, stand behind me, I need your vote to throw this black man out of office"? That is one of my questions and one of my problems. No caucasion in his rightr mind would have the mendacity or untruthfulness to grandstand such an edict. And the other videos were I mentioned were atteched to the initial link. So, don't make it look so clandstine.

White politicians do it just as often - Romney's own speech at the

is no less demographic-centric than Obama's video. You can find a plethora of campaign speeches in Spanish, or addressing specific religious denominations... and frankly I don't think a white person saying "White people, stand behind me, I need your vote to throw this black man out of office" is a fair equivalent to Barack's statements.

What's more, there is very little difference in much of this country between saying "White people, stand behind me, I need your vote to throw this black man out of office" and "[Christian|Earth Salty|Real American|Patriotic] people, stand behind me, I need your vote to throw this [random pejorative] out of office"

I don't care if the addressed "rallied base" is Black, White, Hispanic, Catholic/Mormon/Baptist/Etc, Jewish, Muslim or 1%ers. Politicians need to be able to recognize that some groups face slightly different common concerns and problems - addressing them isn't uncommon. The only real issue is A) the content of the statement and B) whether it contradicts (ie, is mutually exclusive with) other statements.

padren said it: "white people" are not a voting bloc, but african americans, for the most part, are.

The religion aspect in this campaign is going to get interesting, considering many Evangelicals do not consider Mormonism to be a true Christian religion, while the black Democrat Barack Hussein Obama is a Baptist/protestant.

Though of course, politics is not about being internally consistent.

padren said it: "white people" are not a voting bloc, but african americans, for the most part, are.

The religion aspect in this campaign is going to get interesting, considering many Evangelicals do not consider Mormonism to be a true Christian religion, while the black Democrat Barack Hussein Obama is a Baptist/protestant.

Though of course, politics is not about being internally consistent.

Who really gives a rats ass what religion he espouses! Please tell me, is there a forum some where that a mildly conservative can become a member? Edited by rigney

Who really gives a rats ass what religion he espouses! Please tell me, is there a forum some where that a mildly conservative can become a member?

Interestingly, I don't think any conservatives on this board care about what religion Romney espouses - the concern is about the Palin crowd, and the more hardline Protestant/Catholic Christian religious conservatives (in the media, in the voting population) and what they may feel about his religion.

And to be fair in modern politics, it's really hard to classify the "mild conservative" because, when viewed in any variation of angle they are indistinguishable from "crazy liberal wingnuts" like Ronald Reagan, Richard Nixon and George Bush Sr. It feels like according to the GOP unless you agree with 100% of the platform as it stands right now, you are a RINO and probably traitor on the level of Chief Justice Roberts.

So, I really have no idea where you'd find "mild conservatives" in general as per how conservatives today would define them, because I have no idea how they would define them with any consistently at all.

Actually, who do the GOP consider mild conservatives? Are they still in that tent? :blink:

Interestingly, I don't think any conservatives on this board care about what religion Romney espouses - the concern is about the Palin crowd, and the more hardline Protestant/Catholic Christian religious conservatives (in the media, in the voting population) and what they may feel about his religion.

And to be fair in modern politics, it's really hard to classify the "mild conservative" because, when viewed in any variation of angle they are indistinguishable from "crazy liberal wingnuts" like Ronald Reagan, Richard Nixon and George Bush Sr. It feels like according to the GOP unless you agree with 100% of the platform as it stands right now, you are a RINO and probably traitor on the level of Chief Justice Roberts.

So, I really have no idea where you'd find "mild conservatives" in general as per how conservatives today would define them, because I have no idea how they would define them with any consistently at all.

Actually, who do the GOP consider mild conservatives? Are they still in that tent? :blink:

Don't blink, but bless your heart, you've answered my question.

White politicians do it just as often - Romney's own speech at the

is no less demographic-centric than Obama's video. You can find a plethora of campaign speeches in Spanish, or addressing specific religious denominations... and frankly I don't think a white person saying "White people, stand behind me, I need your vote to throw this black man out of office" is a fair equivalent to Barack's statements.

So what you are saying is, whether Obama is right or wrong, good or bad, Blacks should vote for him simply because he's black? That might work with a bunch of fools, but blacks are intelligint human beings.

Edited by rigney

But that is my question? The use of slavery and servitude as an expression can only be used to stretch the fabric so thin. When will Americans of all colors wake up to realize that we are all together in the same boat? The only difference is the hate mongering done from either side that keeps the wound festering.

But that is my question? The use of slavery and servitude as an expression can only be used to stretch the fabric so thin. When will Americans of all colors wake up to realize that we are all together in the same boat? The only difference is the hate mongering done from either side that keeps the wound festering.

Who mentions slavery and servitude these days? I think African American voters have many other reasons to be interested in progressive politics. The "boat" you say we're all in has comfier seats for some.

Who mentions slavery and servitude these days? I think African American voters have many other reasons to be interested in progressive politics. The "boat" you say we're all in has comfier seats for some.

Unfortunatly, that is th case. If all of us found ourselves at the captaind table, we would shortly find our asses in the orlop hoping the damned thing doesn't sink.