The Official "Quick Question" Thread

boris_73

Yes.  More than I am, clearly.  Thank you.  It's funny it wasn't with other tools, so whoever packed that box apparently viewed it as a mystery object.  

9 hours ago, TheVat said:

Anyone know what this is?  Mystery item found in a box IMG_20240526_070459.thumb.jpg.70d79240dd56550902d46d3f39e168de.jpg 

IMG_20240526_070426.thumb.jpg.84259caa844173f4d462d05225169b47.jpg

7 hours ago, Endy0816 said:

It's a Mortise Guage.

I always called it a marking gauge but it’s a simple tool for precise measurements. 

Hand carved the mortise and tenons on our oak dining room table and the crafting table I made for the kids using one (also inserted a locking dowel / trenail so they’ll never go sloppy)

1 hour ago, iNow said:

I always called it a marking gauge but it’s a simple tool for precise measurements. 

Hand carved the mortise and tenons on our oak dining room table and the crafting table I made for the kids using one (also inserted a locking dowel / trenail so they’ll never go sloppy)

That's très cool.  As a crude structural carpenter, you folk are like unthinkably advanced aliens to me.  My zen thing is more putting in a window or hanging a door, or electrical.  Anything is zen that is guided by the need to always know precisely where both your hands are,  and that you exist in a bubble of calm quiet.  (I did once make a simple mortise, using 4x4 for work table legs and running 1x4 rails into them.  Where I learned about keeping chisels sharp...)

1 hour ago, TheVat said:

My zen thing is more putting in a window or hanging a door

I’ll be replacing an exterior threshold tomorrow myself so long as the weather holds. Once that’s done, I’ll proceed with laying down new decking on the uneven joists I flattened and graded 

After a few days dangling with my feet ten feet over the ground using sharp tools, they’re even now