Using motor-generator to electricity generation

faslan

hi all

i have an idea to minimize cost and save to electricity by using motor and generator to electricity generation

example

i m using national grid to two- 10 hp motors to my mill daily 8 hours from

total electric consumption for a day 119.312 kWh

if i use national grid to 5 hp motor and connect it to a 80 kva generator and use to generate electricity to power my 2 motors

so i'm using only 29.828 kWh per day from national grid

is it possible ?

`

I won't go into the maths because the principle is very clear. Your mill requires a particular level of power for it to run. If your only source of power is the National Grid then whatever machinery configurations you can devise all of that power must be supplied by the National Grid. In addition to that amount of power you will have to take power from the National Grid to overcome losses in your machines. The question therefore boils down to which arrangement of machines would introduce the least amount of loss? Another way of saying the same thing is which arrangement would be most efficient?

I would expect using the two large machines to be the more efficient arrangement. Looking at your figures there must be something drastically wrong with your calculations.

hi all

i have an idea to minimize cost and save to electricity by using motor and generator to electricity generation

example

i m using national grid to two- 10 hp motors to my mill daily 8 hours from

total electric consumption for a day 119.312 kWh

if i use national grid to 5 hp motor and connect it to a 80 kva generator and use to generate electricity to power my 2 motors

so i'm using only 29.828 kWh per day from national grid

is it possible ?

`

No i don't think you will be able to get 20 hp from a 5hp motor, that is essentially what you are trying to do.

No i don't think you will be able to get 20 hp from a 5hp motor, that is essentially what you are trying to do.

I was trying to figure out a way to say that. You did it much more succinctly that I could have.

Essentially, you are correct of course. However the figures immediately suggested to me that there was a bit more than that to the OP's thought process. Being a lazy so and so I didn't delve into it. It seems he wants to drive two 10hp motors running at about 80% of full load with a 5hp motor also running at about 80% of full load. He wants to achieve this by means of a generator which, apart from other problematic details, has an efficiency of well over 100%!