In the absence of a heat source how long would it take for the earth to freeze solid?

Interesting. That means that if Earth got thrown away from the Sun and froze in deep space, and if someone returned to the frozen Earth, and they tunnelled into it all the way to the core, there would be no heat anywhere, including the center of the core.

Yes that is exactly what I meant when I started this thread.

Depends on how close to equilibrium you will accept.

Or...

A background radiation will be created given long enough if the Universe is small enough (closed system). If this Universe is contracting at some point exact equilibrium could happen.

I meant a universe just like our own , but totally abscent of any heat source.

I could not speculate here on different types of universe with different comological constants, because that belongs in the Speculation Forum

I meant a universe just like our own , but totally abscent of any heat source.

I could not speculate here on different types of universe with different comological constants, because that belongs in the Speculation Forum

Well, then it depends on how close to equilibrium you will accept...or possibly until the one just like ours contracts, if it ever will, or never, since we do not know how ours will end either.

The equilibrium limit will not be reached otherwise, classically speaking.