The Power of Prayer

Mr Rayon

Hi,

How do you guys take it when you see an atheist who has explicitly stated that he/she is an atheist pray to God?

When you see a politian do this a couple of times, does it make your blood boil? Do you feel manipulated/toyed with and how would you quantify the sincerity of their prayers?

It doesn't make any sense for me to hear why atheists would pray but some still do it.

What goes on in your mind when you see an atheist pray or for that matter or religious person not pray (if there is such a kind)?

People's behavior that has little to no impact on me rarely upsets me. I simply file the inconsistency in their behavior away for future reference.

I also try not to judge people without knowing precisely what I am judging. Perhaps the atheist in question was simply bowing his head for a moment of silence out of respect for something and not really praying. I myself have been invited to attend religious events (usually weddings) and when the officiant calls for a moment of prayer, I will also normally bow my head out of respect for the couple being married. I'm not praying, however much it may look like I am.

How do you guys take it when you see an atheist who has explicitly stated that he/she is an atheist pray to God?

My first thought is of those that were once theist that have been unable to kick the habit completely.

Of others, I take it that they do not really know what an atheist is, that they have misapplied a label to themself that doesn't apply.

My first thought is of those that were once theist that have been unable to kick the habit completely.

Of others, I take it that they do not really know what an atheist is, that they have misapplied a label to themself that doesn't apply.

Have you ever heard these words in a song, "I know there ain't no heaven and I pray there ain't no hell"? Well I have, and that's me in a nut shell. I'm agnostic by choice, but not stupid enough to not fathom the possibility that there may be something greater out there than the whole enchilada, including religion and science. Edited by rigney

What goes on in your mind when you see an atheist pray or for that matter or religious person not pray (if there is such a kind)?

How would you feel if a Hindu told you that they would ask Shiva to protect your soul?

Or someone told you they'd ask the Flying Spaghetti Monster to forgive you for sinning against Him?

How would you react if you were invited to a friend's Islamic wedding and everyone knelt to pray to Allah? Would you kneel too as a sign of respect to your friend's beliefs, or would you remain standing while everyone else knelt?

I always thought two of the fundamental tenets of Christian belief were that each person had the ability to form a personal relationship with God and that one should not judge others. Having your "blood boil" at someone's personal choices regarding prayer seems to smack of both assumption regarding another person's supposedly personal relationship with their God and subsequent casting of judgement as to how what you observe relates to what you personally deem appropriate behavior...

As for my personal feelings, each person's religion is their own business so I honestly don't care who prays how, to what, or for what at what time at all - however I do get annoyed at the assumption involved when someone tells me they will pray for me. They always seem pretty offended when I respond that I will talk to my dog for them...

Edited by Arete

I'm basically with rigney on this one.I have said elsewhere on the forum that since believers cannot prove the existence of God and non-believers cannot prove he does not exist we are all somewhere on a scale between the two extremes ( although we may feel that we are very close to one end or the other). I am close to the atheist end but far enough away to say I'm not certain whether I should say I'm agnostic. If I am in a gathering of people who are praying I will at least bow my head and give thought to the object of the prayers. I have also said that if I die and find myself somewhere else I'll accept it as some sort of bonus! (Just hope I don't find myself saying "Bl**dy Hell, it's hot in here!" ohmy.gif)

For rigney:-

Now troubles are many, they're as deep as a well.

I can swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Swear there ain't no heaven and I pray there ain't no hell,

But I'll never know by living, only my dying will tell.

Yes only my dying will tell.

Yeah, only my dying will tell.

Edited by Joatmon

I feel that anyone who says "I don't believe in prayer" without qualifying it might be dangerously closed-minded.

What is prayer? Why do people associate it with a wish-list hot-line to God?

Imagine you call aunt Gertrude and ask for a train set. She doesn't get you one.

Conclusion 1: Telephones don't work.

Conclusion 2: Telephones are just a means of communication.

Imagine you walk up to an ATM and ask it for a million dollars. The ATM looks at you kinda funny.

Conclusion 1: ATMs don't work.

Conclusion 2: ATMs are a means of accessing only what you already have.

Whether you're an atheist or fundamentalist, you can define "god" in such a way that prayer has "power". Even if it's just a means of communicating with yourself, or perhaps even parts of your subconscious, but using words and higher brain function, it can be useful.

Believing that prayer has "no power" because it doesn't directly lead to physical manifestation of your requests, is not far from believing that meditation is of no use because it doesn't have a direct effect on physical reality, and that's not far from believing that thinking has no value because thoughts do not directly affect the outside world.

Imagine growing up with parents who encouraged you to believe "Thinking has no power" without qualifying it?

The power of prayer need not be more than the mental power of words and thought.

Anyway to answer the question, nothing goes through my mind when I see an atheist pray. How do I know what they're thinking, and whether or not it's rational?