Gravity Wells; The Perfect Medium For Life

Xittenn

I would like to speculate that maybe black holes are, quite in contradiction to what we believe, highly supportive of life. Maybe it isn't the organic life as we know it, but something far more evolved and complex that we can't even imagine. I guess this is in some way an extension of my speculations as a child that in fact the sun is made up of a large collective of consciousness. Some of my reasons for my thoughts include:

- an abundance of available resources

- complex organization

- constant consumption of more resources

- natural defenses against external predators

- possibility of inter well communication, maybe even travel

This is a very quick post, and I may have said something really stupid--aside from the obvious--so forgive me ahead of time . . . .

I think it would depend of what is possible under the conditions beyond the event horizon. I'm not sure if enough is known to even speculate.

As for stars, I can see the possibly that life light exist in a star, it would have to be based on plasma interactions but i don't see any reason it would be impossible. maybe the entire star is alive and our ancestors had it right the sun is god? I know that would be another thread.

From the perspective of plasma based lifeforms in stars, the first thing I think to look for is observable technologies. Assuming intelligent life this tends to presuppose curiosity, and it only makes sense that such life would try to observe the universe. How could a plasma based telescope exist? If such a lifeform did exist how might they travel into space? Would they feel it necessary? They would have sufficient resources to justify staying put, which also suggests a higher cost for leaving.

In terms of a physiology, how would life manifest? Are matter interactions too chaotic to support life? How can memory be formed?

These are questions I've considered for a long time now, I'm starting to feel a little more confident about being able to seriously scrutinize the ideas. I imagine most people have at the very least had a passing thought on the matter, I mean everyone knows the man in the moon right? I think overlaying computing science on a number of physical principles is probably the most reasonable approach to addressing these questions. It would be interesting to come up with a list of observables that might allow us to search for these types of lifeforms.

If the black hole is big enough it could have internal regions for which the tidal forces are tolerable and life could evolve there. There could be planets on stable orbits inside the horizon [1,2].

References

[1] V. I. Dokuchaev. Grav.Cosmol.18:65-69,2012. Also available as arXiv:1203.0878v1 [astro-ph.CO]

[2] V. I. Dokuchaev. Class. Quantum Grav. 28 (2011) 235015. Also available as arXiv:1103.6140v4 [gr-qc].

Edited by ajb

If the black hole is big enough it could have internal regions for which the tidal forces are tolerable and life could evolve there. There could be planets on stable orbits inside the horizon [1,2].

References

[1] V. I. Dokuchaev. Grav.Cosmol.18:65-69,2012. Also available as arXiv:1203.0878v1 [astro-ph.CO]

[2] V. I. Dokuchaev. Class. Quantum Grav. 28 (2011) 235015. Also available as arXiv:1103.6140v4 [gr-qc].

Awesome, great thinking outside the box...

Planets inside the event horizon are very different from what I had in mind, but this was meant to be a very open discussion. I like this idea because it finds use for these natural phenomena such that some lifeform adopts its structure to its advantage, which is a main driving point in my investigation. But this also relaxes the constraints on how life might exist inside such a structure, where previously I had a much more rigid definition of what could exist within the event horizon. Awesome stuff!

This idea of planets inside a super massive black hole also begs the question of would a civilization do it intentionally, insert their planets into stabel orbits inside the black hole? What happens to life as the heat death of the universe approaches? At some point quite along time before the actual heat death of the universe life will become, if not impossible, very difficult.

As stars burn out and new star formation stops what happens to civilizations? Where do they turn for energy? If the inside of a black hole isn't too energetic, a planet in a stable orbit around the center mass of a black hole, notice I didn't say singularity, might the final retreat position of an advanced civilization.

As the black hole pulls in matter from the outside and that matter goes into the center and gives off it's last gasp of energy could an advanced civilization take advantage of that to extend their existence? Long after collecting energy outside the black hole becomes impossible would energy be available inside the black hole?