Manganese Metal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_number#E100.E2.80.93E199_.28colours.29

E173

Al isn't very toxic unless you are unfortunate enough to be allergic to it.

"Ebsen also played Fess Parker's sidekick in Walt Disney's Davy Crockett miniseries (1953–54), and was cast as the Tin Man in The Wizard of Oz (1939) until he fell ill from an allergy to the makeup."

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Ebsen

It clearly didn't end his career.

Edited by John Cuthber

Really? I heard he became a millionaire and moved to Beverly Hills.

The actor who took his place certainly did. Not the original guy though.

http://en.wikipedia....9_.28colours.29

E173

Al isn't very toxic unless you are unfortunate enough to be allergic to it.

"Ebsen also played Fess Parker's sidekick in Walt Disney's Davy Crockett miniseries (1953–54), and was cast as the Tin Man in The Wizard of Oz (1939) until he fell ill from an allergy to the makeup."

from

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Buddy_Ebsen

It clearly didn't end his career.

Hmm... Well, I'll believe you, but only because I have no other proof. That isn't what I heard though.The toxicity of aluminium is sort of controversial. New research has been showing that it may be MUCH more toxic than we thought. Like lead. And mercury. And cadmium. And a whole bunch of other metals I could ramble about all day... The "light" metals can be just as toxic as the heavy ones... Take, for example, beryllium. Why do people tend to forget about beryllium so often?

Posted Today, 06:21 PM

snapback.pngelementcollector1, on 22 September 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

H2O2? What does it do, get catalyzed back into water and oxygen? Or does the wool oxidize? With 3% it bubbles vigorously, making heat and rust. With 30% it bubbles VERY vigorously and catches on fire (if any is still dry).Oh, I've got to try that. Free chromium oxide if I boil the rust in NaOH, too. How would you get chromium oxide from it? Stainless steel wool maybe? How would you separate the cr from the Fe? Does cr have some soluble hydroxide I don't know about? I don't think stainless steel would be reactive enough to catch fire, but it would certainly oxidize in the 30%. My wool was plain Fe.

Just tried the magnesium + drill today, and HOLY SNAP, that's a lot of shavings. I got a container very loosely half-full of these things, and they get bigger the longer you drill. I only drilled in a few spots, too, and the holes produced were very shallow. I might have to try this with aluminum... >:) Mg is easier to shave, in my experience. Don't expect it to be as easy with al.

Darn. Still, the thing was a huge success. Even if the aluminum is harder, it should still work pretty well if it's pure.

What kind of drill and bit do you use? At how many RPM? I've never had much success with al, I usually make from foil or buy the stuff.

Al poisoning? I heard it was a neurotoxin, but not to what extent. Also, the exposure rate of aluminum in our everyday life is massive, from aluminum antiperspirant to aluminum cookware and much more. Admittedly, powder has some risks of its own, but the Wiki throw for 'health concerns' mostly speaks about how nontoxic it appears to be. The original actor for the "tin man" in the wizard of oz film almost died after using al powder to color his skin like "tin". He failed his entire career because of it.Well that's certainly... interesting... says nothing about that on the Wiki page. Really? I thought I saw it there as well while hunting for errors.

Should I physically dry the NaNO3? I have it with sodium hydroxide dessicant as we speak, with little action on the dessicant's part except for clumping together. If I recall correctly, there really isn't enough difference in hygroscopicity to make naoh an effective desiccant for nano3. Try a stronger desiccant, like sodium oxide or calcium oxide (both very dangerous). I still have to reccomend heating the stuff. After all, anhydrous sodium nitrate is much cheaper than sodium or calcium oxide. You could make the latter at home, however. This completely random, but have you ever tried to cut a piece of caesium metal? It's ridiculously soft. About as soft as butter, I would say. Any info about the h2o2?Or what about heating in a beaker on a stove? Force-drying. Microwave, even. I'm just afraid it might catch on fire...As for the H2O2, not really. I haven't found the time, sorry. Also, the McLendon's site doesn't have a product list or search engine, so the only way to find out if that concentrate even exists is to actually visit the store.

Might I suggest this video, if you have a hotplate:

It appears the URL you gave is malformed. Heating on a stove is heating, so yes. What is force drying? I'm always afraid to put things in the microwave, bad memories of mother catching something on fire... Ammonium nitrate, that I can see you worrying about, but sodium nitrate has no reducing agent, so why worry? Just don't do it in a metal bowl, unless you have a fancy platinum plated one like me. tongue.gif And if you do have a metal bowl, you'll probably make sparks, and therefore ozone and NOx. Lead might not spark, im not sure though. Please don't inconvenience yourself for me. I've never even heard of the store you mentioned, so purchasing it there would probably not be an option. Check out united nuclear's drierite, it works wonderfully.
This is getting a little cluttered, want to go back to the conventional way of posting?

The original guy ended up playing Jed Clampett, the patriarch of The Beverly Hillbillies, one of the most successful and highly rated TV sitcoms of all time.

Well, it appears I was wrong. The point was really that aluminium can be harmful. But I was wrong.

This is getting a little cluttered, want to go back to the conventional way of posting?

You can separate any sentences you want to reply to by either using quote sentence /unquote tags (with [ ] brackets around quote and /unquote), or you can highlight the sentence and then click the "Insert quotation" button on the Reply to Post menu bar (third button from the right).

Well, it appears I was wrong. The point was really that aluminium can be harmful. But I was wrong.

You know how it is when someone's wrong on the internet. :D

I was a TBH fan as a kid but not for Buddy. Partly for Irene Ryan who played Granny Clampett (OMG she was hilarious), mostly for Ellie May (any scene with her down by the "cement pond" was a hit with teenage boys).

You can separate any sentences you want to reply to by either using quote sentence /unquote tags (with [ ] brackets around quote and /unquote), or you can highlight the sentence and then click the "Insert quotation" button on the Reply to Post menu bar (third button from the right).

You know how it is when someone's wrong on the internet. :DThey get flamed by certain grumps? :shifty eyes:

I was a TBH fan as a kid but not for Buddy. Partly for Irene Ryan who played Granny Clampett (OMG she was hilarious), mostly for Ellie May (any scene with her down by the "cement pond" was a hit with teenage boys).

Mkay.

Edited by chilled_fluorine

Mkay.

Well, anyway...

If it's stainless steel, I'd expect the chromium to oxidize if the Fe did. Then, chromium (III) oxide reacts with strong NaOH to form hexavalent sodium chromate, Na2CrO4, which is soluble in water and has a bright yellow color.

I use a pretty standard Dewalt cordless drill, with a bit size of 17/64.

Malformed? How so? It works fine for me. If you wouldn't mind a search on YouTube, the title is "How to concentrate Hydrogen Peroxide from 3% to ~30%", by TheChemlife.

McLendon's is a hardware store in the Northwest U.S. area.

Force drying is using the Force to generate heat to dry a solid. :P

But seriously, it's another name for 'heating things on a stove, hoping they don't conflagrate and just dry normally".

I typically use ceramic plates for this sort of thing.

...Platinum-plated bowl?! You are an incredibly lucky person.

No, they'd rather no one corrected the misinformation they've been repeating, so they call it flaming.

I think you misunderstood me. I was poking fun at a certain resident expert...

Well, anyway...

If it's stainless steel, I'd expect the chromium to oxidize if the Fe did. Then, chromium (III) oxide reacts with strong NaOH to form hexavalent sodium chromate, Na2CrO4, which is soluble in water and has a bright yellow color.

I use a pretty standard Dewalt cordless drill, with a bit size of 17/64.

Malformed? How so? It works fine for me. If you wouldn't mind a search on YouTube, the title is "How to concentrate Hydrogen Peroxide from 3% to ~30%", by TheChemlife.

McLendon's is a hardware store in the Northwest U.S. area.

Force drying is using the Force to generate heat to dry a solid. :P

But seriously, it's another name for 'heating things on a stove, hoping they don't conflagrate and just dry normally".

I typically use ceramic plates for this sort of thing.

...Platinum-plated bowl?! You are an incredibly lucky person. No, a long dead relative was an incredibly rich person. She disliked silver, for whatever reason (ironically enough, the plating is on silver). That thing really does come in handy sometimes. I was thinking of making an iridium plated one, once I hoard enough iridium to make the plating solution. That thing would be nearly invincible. Until you scratch it of course, but considering how hard ir is, not too likely. I would say I'm about half way there. Iridium can be SO hard to find.

No, a long dead relative was an incredibly rich person. She disliked silver, for whatever reason (ironically enough, the plating is on silver). That thing really does come in handy sometimes. I was thinking of making an iridium plated one, once I hoard enough iridium to make the plating solution. That thing would be nearly invincible. Until you scratch it of course, but considering how hard ir is, not too likely. I would say I'm about half way there. Iridium can be SO hard to find.

Again, you very lucky person.

And where, pray tell, do you find your hoard of iridium?

Darn. Just got my ignition mix today, but college has started as well. Will also have to find some CaF2. This might be delayed a little longer.

To make caf2, get yourself a hunk of limestone, and a certain type of rust stain remover. Dissolve with excess carbonate, filter, then boil down. The stuff has a tiny bit of srf2, but they work the same for flux purposes, and it really is a negligible amount. Oh, don't breath the fumes. But you knew that, didn't you? :)

Sorry I refuse to tell where I get my iridium, but I need every last bit of it.

Darn. Just got my ignition mix today, but college has started as well. Will also have to find some CaF2. This might be delayed a little longer.

I'm not entirely sure I feel comfortable talking about thermite with a college student. :) Btw, now that we have spent so much time rambling together, I feel obliged to make ye a formal friend request. I'll add you if you add me. Mkay?

To make caf2, get yourself a hunk of limestone, and a certain type of rust stain remover. Dissolve with excess carbonate, filter, then boil down. The stuff has a tiny bit of srf2, but they work the same for flux purposes, and it really is a negligible amount. Oh, don't breath the fumes. But you knew that, didn't you? :)

Sorry I refuse to tell where I get my iridium, but I need every last bit of it.

I'm not entirely sure I feel comfortable talking about thermite with a college student. :) Btw, now that we have spent so much time rambling together, I feel obliged to make ye a formal friend request. I'll add you if you add me. Mkay?

Hf and CaCO3, hmm? It would work, but if I had to make some, I'd prefer using NaF and CaCl2 to avoid... well... the obvious. And because the only place for me to get NaF is the same place where I can obtain CaF2, why bother?

Darn. Iridium's good stuff, I have to use sparkplugs (infinitesimal amounts, high price. Joy.)

Added! And might I say that I'm not quite as uneducated on the dangers of chemistry as most college students. Which isn't much to claim, considering what I've seen at my school so far.

Hf and CaCO3, hmm? It would work, but if I had to make some, I'd prefer using NaF and CaCl2 to avoid... well... the obvious. And because the only place for me to get NaF is the same place where I can obtain CaF2, why bother?

Darn. Iridium's good stuff, I have to use sparkplugs (infinitesimal amounts, high price. Joy.)

Added! And might I say that I'm not quite as uneducated on the dangers of chemistry as most college students. Which isn't much to claim, considering what I've seen at my school so far.

College... So fun, so dangerous. Fun is directly proportional to danger, ya know?