Will ambush predators attack if their prey has spotted them?

Yesterday I got into a little debate with my uncle regarding the behaviour of ambush predators, specifically whether an ambush predator such as a cougar, leopard, jaguar, etc. will still attack a human that they have been stalking if the human spots them. Now, don't misunderstand the point of my question; I am fully aware that the predator will SOMETIMES continue the attack, but I'm just talking about probabilities here.

If for example, a cougar or leopard has been stalking a human in the forest, and the human catches sight of it and makes it clear that they will hold their ground and put up a fight, maybe wielding a stick or something, is it LIKELY that the cougar will still attack them (we're assuming that the cougar is not starving)? Or will they most likely decide that it's not worth the trouble and just leave the person alone?

IIRC, one defence mechanism against big cats which look as if they might attack you, is to look them straight in the eye, walk towards them and make a lot of noise. As counter-intuitive as it seems, it's the last thing the animal will expect. The animal will most likely back away.

Whereas if you spot the animal and run, every instinct the animal has is to chase you and have you for lunch.

I used to test this hypothesis with my own domestic cats.

If a toy is pushed toward them, they look at it with a baffled look and usually back of. If I drag a toy away from them, they immediately chase and pounce in it.

My childhood cat (Eric) was a keen mouser. He'd often bring in dead mice - or rather bits of them - to the house.

However, when a mouse once walked across our living room floor, directly towards Eric, the cat just watched it nervously. The mouse strolled on and my cat just looked up at me as if to say

"well, what in the f**k was that all about."

Edited by tomgwyther

I have read that in tiger country when a tiger is a man eater wearing a mask that makes it look like you have a face on the back of your head will prevent a tiger from ambushing you, not sure what he does when he figures out you were shining him on....

I'm sure other people have seen/head of pictures like this at some point too,

buddhist-monk-walking-with-bengal-tigerthailand-thumb16618262.jpg

There was a video to go with it on some discovery-channel-like program, but based on how I remember it, the tiger was walking rather specifically. It's possible the Buddhist could of taken care of it, but if it's wild and the Buddhist was just encountering it, it seemed like it was ready to attack but just never went for it.

Logically, if a tiger was waiting to attack you, but you didn't run away or towards it, but rather just walked, would it be in a sort of "semi-attack" mode? Your not running so that instinct isn't active yet, but it still wants to eat something but doesn't actually know a whole lot about humans so it would be kind of cautions and curious as well...

Edited by questionposter

I think it depends on the species as much as the circumstances. For instance, cheetahs hunt based on their speed and agility rather than brute strength. They won't fight for a kill, preferring to surrender it because they would most likely lose in an open confrontation with another predator. I think it's because they want to avoid injury at all costs...any injury that slows them down could impact their hunting ability for weeks to come. If they're discovered in an ambush but the prey is alone, they'll most probably give chase, but if there's even a sign that they'll have to engage in confrontation (either with the prey or with another predator), they'll probably back down. Other species may choose differently, depending on how much they rely on speed vs. strength and endurance vs. the element of surprise.

Alright, I pretty much figured as much, so basically the moral of the story is that if you ever run into a big cat of any kind, with the possible exception of a lynx, which I personally doubt would dare attack a human the absolute worst thing you can do is run away, as that will get you eaten.

While I'm on this topic, I have another question. Me and some buddies of mine often go paintballing out in the forests, and cougars are known to live in those same forests. I once heard a story from another paintballer that he got attacked by a mountain lion, but managed to scare it away by unloading on it with his paintball gun. Now, personally I think his story was complete bunk and he was just bragging, but I can't help but wonder whether a paintball gun actually would be enough to scare off a mountain lion. Does anyone have an opinion?

There is a good chance that a paintball attack would scare off the mountain lion.

A recent article in Missouri Conservationist (April 2012) talks about what to do during a mountain lion encounter.

Never run.

If a mountain lion is far away, simply back away from it. No risk.

If a mountain lion is within 50 yards and following you, pick up sticks and rocks and appear aggressive. Keep your eye on him. Slight risk.

If a mountain lion is within 50 yards and is creeping after you, start swinging jacket over head, look large. Prepare to defend yourself.

If a mountain lion attacks, scream, yell, throw rocks, make aggressive moves toward him. Being aggressive may get him to back off.

I've read of people fighting off mountain lions with their mountain bikes.