SDSS J102915+ 172927 strange star

Ras72

In September 2011 the star SDSS J102915+172927 has been observed in the Constellation of Leo. It has been found to be 20,000 times poorer in metals than the Sun which would suggest it is incredibly old (13bn years). Yet its mass is only 0.8 times that of the sun while the stars that formed at that time are thought to have had masses millions of times greater. Also the Lithium fraction is 50 times lower and it lacks the metals concentrations thought to be necessary for it to have formed. While other metals poor stars have been observed, this seems the most extreme example. So I thought, half jokingly, whether it could be... mmmhh... how can I put it... "artificial". I mean could it be, in principle, a propulsion or power device created by an advanced species, seeing how it burns almost exclusively hydrogen and helium?

Edited by Ras72

It has been found to be 20,000 times poorer in metals than the Sun which would suggest it is incredibly old (13bn years). Yet its mass is only 0.8 times that of the sun while the stars that formed at that time are thought to have had masses millions of times greater.

Few stars can be found with masses greater than 100 solar masses. Is a star of millions of solar masses even possible? I think only a supermassive black hole can have that great a mass.

Yes, please provide a link.

Ok so I answered myself. I opened a thread in the Nasa Space Flight forum and after some interference and assorted wastes of time it was established that the spectra lines would be different. So it's not a propulsion device. Good.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible that the star was formed from gas that was created in the big bang, but was really spread out so took ages to form a star? By ages I mean like 12.5 billion years?

Edited by RichIsnang