Anybody else use the no personal attachments philosophy?

IMO it helps me organise my life and avoid any unnecesary issues that could get in my way of doing stuff and that is why it works.

This is why intelligence agents in many countries use it in my oppinion. But it can be used many ways. Some seem to use it more strictly and others less. It just seems to depend on the individual.

Edited by z9999GhZbRaiNzZ89

Could you give the members a quick summary of what you mean by that?

Do you mean literally no physical, cultural, and emotional ties to anything, anyone and anywhere? Cos that sounds less like a lifestyle and more like a punishment. Or is there more to it than that?

Could you give the members a quick summary of what you mean by that?

Do you mean literally no physical, cultural, and emotional ties to anything, anyone and anywhere? Cos that sounds less like a lifestyle and more like a punishment. Or is there more to it than that?

The lifestyle helps me in various areas although its diffacult. Edited by z9999GhZbRaiNzZ89

Perhaps imatfaal's question was not clear to you. No personal attachments could mean:

No friends.

No family contacts.

No work acquaintances.

No sporting teams to follow.

No hobbies.

No food preferences.

etc.

As imatfaal suggests that sounds like a very bleak, empty lifestyle.

Or did you just mean, no friends or family? Or was it even more specific: you meant no romantic attachments?

This is why intelligence agents in many countries use it in my opinion.

The mention of intelligence agents, and no personal attachments, reminds me of a principle they follow, when wishing to alter their personal appearance. It is:

"Except for spectacles, the strict rule of facial disguise is to wear nothing that can be knocked, blown or taken off."

Hence attaching a wig to your head is out of the question - but you can shave a patch of cranium to suggest approaching baldness.

(This information comes from Eric Frank Russell's SF novel "Wasp").

However z9999 obviously isn't thinking of such crude physical attachments. But rather of emotional ones. Like, if you're a CIA agent sent to Russia, don't get emotionally involved with, or fall in love with, any Russian women. Or men. As it may compromise the mission.

This can be extended away from espionage. And applied to life in general. Doesn't our "mission" in life - ie, the stuff we really want to do - often get compromised, and even thwarted entirely, by "emotional attachments"? So perhaps we would be better off without them.

Edited by Dekan

IMO it helps me organise my life and avoid any unnecesary issues that could get in my way of doing stuff and that is why it works.

By "personal attachments" do you mean emotional attachments?

What kind of "life" is there to organize without personal attachments?

What "issues" are unnecessary in life?

What kind of "stuff" is worth doing that can't possibly involve a personal attachment?

Is trust a kind of personal attachment in your philosophy?