Universities with good Physics Departments?

Purephysics

I'm looking to study physics at Uni the hear after next. I'm doing my research into what universities have decent sounding physics/science departments, but the selection and stats are mind boggling.

Can anyone give some insight? What universities have a good reputation in physics?

(In the UK)

I'm looking to study physics at Uni the hear after next. I'm doing my research into what universities have decent sounding physics/science departments, but the selection and stats are mind boggling.

Can anyone give some insight? What universities have a good reputation in physics?

(In the UK)

Some strategies.

1) Look in the library at textbooks and see which universities the authors are from.

2) Some UK universities publish series in Physics, for instance The University of Manchester, The University of Surrey (and of course Oxbridge).

3) Famous non textbook publishing physics deparments include Liverpool and Edinburgh.

A word of warning, however.

The maths at the first league deparments is very tough. Second league departments tend to be more applied and practical. I know of several transfers because a student found the going too (deeply) mathematical.

Edited by studiot

Some strategies.

1) Look in the library at textbooks and see which universities the authors are from.

2) Some UK universities publish series in Physics, for instance The University of Manchester, The University of Surrey (and of course Oxbridge).

3) Famous non textbook publishing physics deparments include Liverpool and Edinburgh.

A word of warning, however.

The maths at the first league deparments is very tough. Second league departments tend to be more applied and practical. I know of several transfers because a student found the going too (deeply) mathematical.

First league? I assume you mean "top Universities".

Yeah, the math is a sticking point for me, I'm going to be an Access To Higher education Mature Student, (at last look I've not done serious math for over 10 years, back then I wasn't great at math.). I'm also not gonna have the luxury off being fresh out of school and college with A-levels still burned into my brain.

I have looked at Kent University because they offer a foundation year for guys like me, and they seem to have a pretty good reputation too. The physics department looks good (at least on paper). Those are some good tips though, I'll check them out, I always look at who publishes the books etc, never thought to use the info to home in on the good Universoties though, in all honesty I just thought they slapped "Oxford" on the spine to look good.

First league? I assume you mean "top Universities".

Yeah, the math is a sticking point for me, I'm going to be an Access To Higher education Mature Student, (at last look I've not done serious math for over 10 years, back then I wasn't great at math.). I'm also not gonna have the luxury off being fresh out of school and college with A-levels still burned into my brain.

I have looked at Kent University because they offer a foundation year for guys like me, and they seem to have a pretty good reputation too. The physics department looks good (at least on paper). Those are some good tips though, I'll check them out, I always look at who publishes the books etc, never thought to use the info to home in on the good Universoties though, in all honesty I just thought they slapped "Oxford" on the spine to look good.

One of the key aspects of foundation years is not about the subject itself but about accessing learning resources. This is especially important for those who have been away from the academic world for some years.

Scientific disciplines are now individually so vast that no university first course can attempt a comprehensive coverage. All courses restrict their areas of coverage - so find out which courses cover your interests.

Finally I recommend you get hold of the book (library?)

The Mathematical Mechanic

By Merk Levi

Don't be put off by the title it is a splendid and refreshing book with many physics based 'proofs' or demonstrations of otherwise dry maths introductory level.

Go well in your endeavours.

One of the key aspects of foundation years is not about the subject itself but about accessing learning resources. This is especially important for those who have been away from the academic world for some years.

Scientific disciplines are now individually so vast that no university first course can attempt a comprehensive coverage. All courses restrict their areas of coverage - so find out which courses cover your interests.

Finally I recommend you get hold of the book (library?)

The Mathematical Mechanic

By Merk Levi

Don't be put off by the title it is a splendid and refreshing book with many physics based 'proofs' or demonstrations of otherwise dry maths introductory level.

Go well in your endeavours.

That's why I wanted a course with a foundation year ideally, I'm fairly confident after a year of college (+the studying I'm already doing myself now) I'd be ok, it's just the thought of getting to uni and not understanding it. So I want to make sure I can do the best I'm capable of.

That's some sound advice thank you :) because even though I have only a self taught interest in physics right now, I know the areas that seem to interest me, and the courses and subjects offered are so vast. It's kinda difficult to pick one out or the bunch, that offers what you want from a good Uni, because after all, they all claim to be good. :blink:

I'll check that book out, see if I can find it on Amazon, it can go in my ever increasing physics and math library....

My biggest bit of advice would be visit the department and see how it feels. If you go somewhere and are not happy there you are unlikely to stick it out.

From being a little involved in our interview stages I believe that foundation courses can often be moved between universities, and maybe completed at colleges. So it might be something to think about to do the foundation course closer to where you live as that might work out cheaper and easier.

The rankings I'd take with a bit of a pinch of salt. They can be skewed quite easily by numbers that actually might not matter all that much or be skewed in certain ways if for example there are less jobs around a certain university the graduate prospects score might be lower as lots of students try and stay around their university when they finish.

My biggest bit of advice would be visit the department and see how it feels. If you go somewhere and are not happy there you are unlikely to stick it out.

From being a little involved in our interview stages I believe that foundation courses can often be moved between universities, and maybe completed at colleges. So it might be something to think about to do the foundation course closer to where you live as that might work out cheaper and easier.

The rankings I'd take with a bit of a pinch of salt. They can be skewed quite easily by numbers that actually might not matter all that much or be skewed in certain ways if for example there are less jobs around a certain university the graduate prospects score might be lower as lots of students try and stay around their university when they finish.

I swear there should be a university course for getting onto a university course!

I'm just hoping I'll have the time to check out the various departments before I go, and to make in informed descision. This is pretty much my last chance; I'm 27 this year.

Oh I didn't know foundation years could be applicable from one Uni to the next, I may have to research more into that. As I guess I could get a Foundation physics at say Kent, and then take that to Kings College if I wanted to study there.

I have noticed that thr ranking seem a little odd, I always take stuff like that with a pinch, because they are just averages, and averages are prone to spikes in information leading to odd results.

I'm also trying to decide if I should go straight on an MPhys or do the BSc and then an MPhys, I've been told that it's easier to switch from an MPhys to a BSc than it is to go from BSc to MPhys. I know I definitely want IOP accredited though.

I swear there should be a university course for getting onto a university course!

I'm just hoping I'll have the time to check out the various departments before I go, and to make in informed descision. This is pretty much my last chance; I'm 27 this year.

I know a few people who were closer to 40 when they graduated ;) One of my friends who has her PhD viva on Wednesday is 41.

Oh I didn't know foundation years could be applicable from one Uni to the next, I may have to research more into that. As I guess I could get a Foundation physics at say Kent, and then take that to Kings College if I wanted to study there.

I think a big part of it is that it shows you have a commitment to education. It's worth checking with the uni you want to go to though.

I have noticed that thr ranking seem a little odd, I always take stuff like that with a pinch, because they are just averages, and averages are prone to spikes in information leading to odd results.

They don't tell you about whether a department is small and friendly or large and diverse either... which might be more important to how you feel and get along when you're actually there.

I'm also trying to decide if I should go straight on an MPhys or do the BSc and then an MPhys, I've been told that it's easier to switch from an MPhys to a BSc than it is to go from BSc to MPhys. I know I definitely want IOP accredited though.

IoP accreditation shouldn't be too much of an issue in the UK, think when I looked around unis (a few years ago now mind) they all were.

The BSc MPhys issue is one of funding.

So if you apply for an MPhys you have 4 years of funding guaranteed. If you apply for a BSc you only have 3 years. When you get to uni it might be possible to switch up to an MPhys but you'd have to try and secure funding to do this, that is not something I'd really advise, dropping down though is normally pretty easy in the first year or two as you are reducing the funding required.

After you've finished your undergraduate degree you can always go on to do a taught (MSc) masters or research (MPhill) masters. Or a PhD.

I did an MPhys.

I know a few people who were closer to 40 when they graduated ;) One of my friends who has her PhD viva on Wednesday is 41.

That's good, I was really worried about not getting much time to use my physics practically after graduation. I want a decent run in industry after university, and I was concerned about having to compete with much younger graduates for positions, and possibly being judged by prospective employers because of my late graduation age. If I do an MPhys with foundation year I'll graduate in my mid thirties.

They don't tell you about whether a department is small and friendly or large and diverse either... which might be more important to how you feel and get along when you're actually there.

I presume this I'll find out when I visit prospective universities. Speaking of which; is there a procedure for visiting a facility? Do I have to be already at college, or can I just phone up and find out if I can get a tour right now?

The BSc MPhys issue is one of funding.

So if you apply for an MPhys you have 4 years of funding guaranteed. If you apply for a BSc you only have 3 years. When you get to uni it might be possible to switch up to an MPhys but you'd have to try and secure funding to do this, that is not something I'd really advise, dropping down though is normally pretty easy in the first year or two as you are reducing the funding required.

That makes sense. So probably best to aim straight for the MPhys, and if I wish then drop down to BSc. (I don't see why I would want to though).

After you've finished your undergraduate degree you can always go on to do a taught (MSc) masters or research (MPhill) masters. Or a PhD.

I did an MPhys.

That's something I meant to ask. What is the difference between te degrees? I know what a BSc is, but what about the MSc and MPhys? I know they are higher than a BSc but I what way? And how do they differ from one another?

(sorry for all the questions, :blink: but definitive information seems hard to find)

I presume this I'll find out when I visit prospective universities. Speaking of which; is there a procedure for visiting a facility? Do I have to be already at college, or can I just phone up and find out if I can get a tour right now?

Give the admissions tutor a call. It's a very competitive market these days if they're not happy to help the uni misses good students.

That makes sense. So probably best to aim straight for the MPhys, and if I wish then drop down to BSc. (I don't see why I would want to though).

That's something I meant to ask. What is the difference between te degrees? I know what a BSc is, but what about the MSc and MPhys? I know they are higher than a BSc but I what way? And how do they differ from one another?

(sorry for all the questions, :blink: but definitive information seems hard to find)

MPhys contains an in depth research project and more physics modules than a BSc. Our masters projects are two years in length, the third and fourth years of the degree. It is my understanding that MSc's are normally one year and contain some lecture courses and a dissertation (a research project). IIRC in the Bologna Process MSc and MPhys are considered to be equivalent qualifications. I'm unsure on how easy it is to get a funded MSc.

I think the reason that definitive information is hard to find is because the courses vary between institutions.

And I'm happy to answer the questions. You seem to be asking the right ones and are being proactive. Keenness is wanted by universities, they don't want people who are likely to drop out part way through, that results in a reduction in their income and unfortunately that's a big part of what they have to care about.

MPhys contains an in depth research project and more physics modules than a BSc. Our masters projects are two years in length, the third and fourth years of the degree. It is my understanding that MSc's are normally one year and contain some lecture courses and a dissertation (a research project). IIRC in the Bologna Process MSc and MPhys are considered to be equivalent.

So from an industry specific employers perspective, which would be more desirable for a job in Physics as a graduate, MSc or MPhys?

And I'm happy to answer the questions. You seem to be asking the right ones and are being proactive. Keenness is wanted by universities, they don't want people who are likely to drop out part way through, that results in a reduction in their income and unfortunately that's a big part of what they have to care about.

Oh Keeness I have in spades, if I could start college right now instead of having to wait until September, I'd be there. I've already started studying mathematics and physics by myself (as best I can with books and Wikipedia), and researching everything I can, to me there isnt enough time in the day to do all the learning I want to do.

I do know what you mean about variability, there are so many universities offering so many degrees, and I want to make the right choice. That's why I've started learning as much as I can about the universities and their courses so early on. Also because this is all completely new territory to me, I'm stumbling around blind right now :blink:

Have you at least established your areas of interest in physics?

Relativity interests me, and space. (so I guess astrophysics).

I'm in the middle of reading about Quatum physics. I'm trying to soak up as much now so I can make an informed descision about what interests me, and thus, what I will enjoy studying.

The problem I face is there are so many areas in physics, I'm just trying to get a base in as many as I can. Even if it just understand the very basic outline. If it sounds interesting then I'll research more into it.

Is this a good plan?