Indenting Quote leads to quote tag error

I tried to post the following - BUT with the Hitchins quote indented to show it was from a different source. But if I indent it I get an error message that opening and closing quote tags do not match

Justification? An overwhelming amount of things and one of them being that the world is simply to perfectly created and balanced to be crafted by nothing.

Says who? Countless generations in which the most adaptable are more likely to survive seems pretty convincing to me.

And another that the scriptures in the bible that people doubt and reject are discovered to be true one at a time. They say this didnt happen and its just a made up fairytale or story. And they find either circumstantial evidence that it did happen or flat out physical evidence that it happened. And people continue to doubt it. Then we find it happened.

Very rarely. There is precious little corroborative evidence for the new testament stories, let alone those of the old testament.

Even when we are in serious distress and one is atheist what do they do? They pray don't they?
No. I go to my partner, my family and my friends. I try to lose the feeling of despondency and start doing something to make my situation better - I do not, and I think this is common with all atheist, I do not pray

You might say it is just in the pressure of the moment but why do they do it in the pressure of the moment? Then you might say that it was just fast and they did it because of that, And i would ask why do they do that? And you would continue to dig deep and figure out that it was there from the beggining.

But this would be a strawman - because we don't "come back to God" in extremis. Praying to God in a crisis would make as much sense to me as hoping that Superman would come by and make it all right, or thinking that if I shut my eyes it will all go away. Not having God as a first and last resort is immensely liberating - without a supernatural fallback position everything is easier to deal with because you know you can.

Atheist Christopher Hitchens was asked earlier this year how his struggle with cancer has affected his views on the question of an afterlife. "I would say it fractionally increases my contempt for the false consolation element of religion and my dislike for the dictatorial and totalitarian part of it," he responded. "It's considered perfectly normal in this society to approach dying people who you don't know but who are unbelievers and say, 'Now are you gonna change your mind?' That is considered almost a polite question."

From a different source.

Atheist Christopher Hitchens was asked earlier this year how his struggle with cancer has affected his views on the question of an afterlife. "I would say it fractionally increases my contempt for the false consolation element of religion and my dislike for the dictatorial and totalitarian part of it," he responded. "It's considered perfectly normal in this society to approach dying people who you don't know but who are unbelievers and say, 'Now are you gonna change your mind?' That is considered almost a polite question."

Like this one?

Like this one?

That's a nested quote... not one that's been indented.

Basically, two quotes...

Moo - It may be a user permissions thing, as I could not replicate your post, and obtained the same error referenced in the OP (it thinks the number of opening and closing quote tags no longer match when you put one set between indent tags). Perhaps because you're on the staff, it works, and since we're general users it doesn't.

test

Moo - It may be a user permissions thing, as I could not replicate your post, and obtained the same error referenced in the OP (it thinks the number of opening and closing quote tags no longer match when you put one set between indent tags). Perhaps because you're on the staff, it works, and since we're general users it doesn't.

Hmmmm interesting. When I try double-indent I get the same error too. Might have something to do with that, too.

We'll have to wait for the forum expert (Capn) to pop by and shed some light on this, and see if it has a fix.

Immortal - no that's a quote within a quote. I use indent by the button in the top right of the reply box.

Mooey - yep that's what I wanted to do. Do me a favour, modify my post and try and indent the final quoted section using the indent button ------^

iNow - that's exactly what I meant - thanks for clarifying and proving to me that I wasn't going mad.

Edited by imatfaal

iNow - that's exactly what I meant - thanks for clarifying and proving to me that I wasn't going mad.

I am pretty sure that remains an open question despite my confirmation of the error itself.

Immortal - no that's a quote within a quote. I use indent by the button in the top right of the reply box.

Mooey - yep that's what I wanted to do. Do me a favour, modify my post and try and indent the final quoted section using the indent button ------^

I couldn't edit it, when I tried I got the same error about the quote tags.

We'll have to raise this to Capn's attention, it's probably some minor bug he can fix.

try

I couldn't edit it, when I tried I got the same error about the quote tags.

We'll have
to raise

this
to
Capn's
attention
, it's probably some minor bug he can fix.

Works fine to me. Indent inside indent gives result "to raise" above.

Testing adding two indent tags before the quote tag:

Quoted stuff here inside double indent tags

That worked. Will try now with one:

Test with only one indent tag

And that broke the previous quote tags.... which did render properly until the posts merged.