Ammonium Tri Iodide

DandyGurl

True. It is fun to make your own elements, but sometimes you have to look at the overall cost of doing so. For Iodine, the cost of making it in the size batch you'd probably need will most likely be higher than the cost of buying a small batch of pure crystals. (Now on a large scale, like they do in the industry, it costs less to make it. But on a small scale like most home users would need, the cost may be a bit higher).

Of all my elements, chlorine is probably my personal favorite. That's because I made it myself and did not purchase it from any dealer. I took some calcium hypochlorite and concentrated HCl and generated, cleaned, and dried the chlorine gas myself. It was really neat doing that. While the green color isn't overwhelmingly strong, with a white background to the ampoule and particularly in photographs, it really shows up nicely.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The octane number is actually a rating on the anti-knock properties of the fuel being used. It is a rating based upon the knocking properties of a ratio of isooctane (100) and n-heptane (0). So a gas with a rating of 92 would have the same anti-knock properties as a mixture of 92% isooctane and 8% n-heptane. For octane numbers HIGHER than 100, it's a measurement of how much tetraethyl lead needs to be added to pure isooctane to give it the same anti-knock characteristics. Many cars built prior to 1971 require gasoline with an octane rating higher than 100, as do high performance engines. So if someone has a fuel with an octane rating of 114, then I believe it means that its anti-knock characteristics are the same as a mixture of 100% isooctane and 14 parts (or percent, I can't remember) tetraethyl lead.

The octane number is actually a rating on the anti-knock properties of the fuel being used. It is a rating based upon the knocking properties of a ratio of isooctane (100) and n-heptane (0). So a gas with a rating of 92 would have the same anti-knock properties as a mixture of 92% isooctane and 8% n-heptane. For octane numbers HIGHER than 100, it's a measurement of how much tetraethyl lead needs to be added to pure isooctane to give it the same anti-knock characteristics. Many cars built prior to 1971 require gasoline with an octane rating higher than 100, as do high performance engines. So if someone has a fuel with an octane rating of 114, then I believe it means that its anti-knock characteristics are the same as a mixture of 100% isooctane and 14 parts (or percent, I can't remember) tetraethyl lead.

IHRA race track, NH raceway, Epping NH, sunoco has a stand where they sell 127octane gas. not many people buy it for their cars because they prefer methanol or some other type of alcohol. more power.. you know? octane is there to prevent your car from knocking or pinging. its what happens when your cylinder fires before the piston reaches top dead center. so it not only robs you power, it really bashes your engine around. and can lead to piston skirt damage, cylinder wall damage, sleeve damage, rod damage, valve damage, exhaust damage, and piston head damage. overall, its not a good thing. in reality, octane makes gasoline harder to ignite, because in high performance cars, where the motor is running significantly hotter, they need a gas that wont ping every time they nail their gas from an idle.

IHRA race track, NH raceway, Epping NH, sunoco has a stand where they sell 127octane gas. not many people buy it for their cars because they prefer methanol or some other type of alcohol. more power.. you know? octane is there to prevent your car from knocking or pinging. its what happens when your cylinder fires before the piston reaches top dead center. so it not only robs you power, it really bashes your engine around. and can lead to piston skirt damage, cylinder wall damage, sleeve damage, rod damage, valve damage, exhaust damage, and piston head damage. overall, its not a good thing. in reality, octane makes gasoline harder to ignite, because in high performance cars, where the motor is running significantly hotter, they need a gas that wont ping every time they nail their gas from an idle.

invader, there was a book that displayed the process. it doesnt "dissolve" in water, it just doesnt react with friction when its wet. and it can be painted on to surfaces. although this is pretty dangerous. once it dries, you dont want to be NEAR it. one breeze and it goes BANG. no fun.

invader, there was a book that displayed the process. it doesnt "dissolve" in water, it just doesnt react with friction when its wet. and it can be painted on to surfaces. although this is pretty dangerous. once it dries, you dont want to be NEAR it. one breeze and it goes BANG. no fun.

"When I make big batches, I like to put some sugar in there so it will attract flies and bees as it's drying. It's really fun to see a big nasty hornet get blown to pieces when it gets near the pile."

Somebody, call the activists! :)

"When I make big batches, I like to put some sugar in there so it will attract flies and bees as it's drying. It's really fun to see a big nasty hornet get blown to pieces when it gets near the pile."

Somebody, call the activists! :)