Ammonium Tri Iodide

DandyGurl

in such a setting where reactants are tightly packed or intimately mixed, if the activation energy potential is met by one molecule/1molecule of each of the reactants, they react, and if the reaction is exothermic, they breach the activation energy barrier for adjacent reactants.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you`re not suggesting you actualy TRIED that are you?

i'd probably have a large hole in my forehead where my hammer struck me. ive actually never made nitrogen triiodide for two reasons:

-my chlorine generator didnt produce enough chlorine to react with about an oz of KI

-my H2SO4+H2O2 attempt failed miserably yielding an incredibly toxic mixture of gases and proving how impure my KI is.

when i get some proper resublimed iodine, perhaps

i am not inclined to hit it with a hammer

Bah, we need a good compound that you can properly whack with a hammer that throws your hammer and most of your arm to who knows where. :))

no need for a true "compound". try some rp

• 2 years later...
It might be easier to just heat the tincture up and collect any iodine vapor on a glass plate with ice on it. This will give you pure, very fine, iodine crystals from the vapor.

Be EXTREMELY careful when using this method and have adequate protection. I once tried this and it was either heated too rapidly/too much and the alcohol in the tincture exploded in the test tube, and caught my hand and a rag on fire and stained my clothes. Unfortunately this was in the presence of my mother and she banned me from going into my lab for several weeks.... :(

Ken

I did it as a 14 year old with Iodine crystals and concentrated Ammonium Hydroxide. About that time I also made Trinitrocellulose in my mother's laundry. I had more sense than mess around with nitroglycerine though.

One of my schoolmates - a future Pharmacist - knocked up TNT at home - you could buy Toluene as "methyl benzene" then to increase fuel octane ratings, but it is highly carcinogenic..