Ammonium Tri Iodide

DandyGurl

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well work it out :)

what`s the formula for Nitrogen Tri-iodide?

here`s a hint: 1 part nitrogen to 3 parts Iodine.

and if you have 100g of Iodine and ADD something else to it, will it weigh More or Less than 100g?

now, work out the weight of Nitrogen needed to use the 100g of Iodine :)

Can't you get iodine crystals from the water purification systems they sell at camping stores?

I know one is just some little pellets that you drop in the water, but I don't know how pure the pellets are. The brand name is Potable Aqua.

The other is called Polar Pure. This has iodine crystals in a container. You fill the container with water and let it partially dissolve the crystals. Then you pour this water into the water you want to clean. Once that water has been cleaned you pour some back into the container to recharge it (dissolve some more of the crystals).

These products give you a pretty good amount of crystals/pellets and if necessary it probably isn't that hard to extract the iodine. I don't think they are particularly expensive either.

"http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/ni3/ni3h.htm"

Those people have taken the video from another site (it's definately the same vid) and transformed it into a gif. >:/ I even think it was copyrighted... Still, it's a pretty cool reaction. :)

"yeah it is a cool reaction. funny thing is it happens so fast you have to watch it a few times"

I've seen the MOV-version, in that one you can check it frame by frame. This is also fun to do with Na + H2O or similar reactions: You can see a huge bubble of hydrogen coming out of the water and combusting in a freaking millisecond. :P

there are two methods you would rather try:

1. bubbling chlorine gas into a solution of iodide salts. the more conc the solution the better your results. careful with the chlorine tho; do it outside or in a fume cupboard and try to make it so the chlorine has nowhere to go EXCEPT the solution

2. acidifying the iodide with (20-30%) sulfuric acid preferrably (DO NOT USE HALIDE ACIDS...unless it's HI...but not like that's happening or anything) then oxidizing your iodide to iodine by adding a strong oxidizing agent, prefferably (40-60%) hydrogen peroxide. be careful to calculate everything stoichiometrically lest you create a bunch of peroxymonosulfuric acid and burn your hands off. also, add the peroxide slowly, as doing it too quickly could cause it to blow up

im guessing you meant this part:

1. bubbling chlorine gas into a solution of iodide salts. the more conc the solution the better your results. careful with the chlorine tho; do it outside or in a fume cupboard and try to make it so the chlorine has nowhere to go EXCEPT the solution

Budullewraagh, how would you set up this reaction at home? I'm thinking that you would need a bong-like container too put the KI solution in. Would you see the top so that the gas can't escape out? What state is the KCl in? (I imaging the I2 is a precipitate).

edit: BTW, I hate how in school science classes you never get to do any practical experiments/procedures like this one. They all demonstrate simple things like "Mg in HCl makes H2 bubbles that will pop when you hold a burning splint near them."

"I hate how in school science classes you never get to do any practical experiments/procedures like this one. They all demonstrate simple things like 'Mg in HCl makes H2 bubbles that will pop when you hold a burning splint near them.'"

I absolutely agree. My 7th-9th grade school didn't even have proper element samples (which is the reason I have tried to cram the RGB element collection into their budget :) ).