converting mL of compound to mmol [Help!!]

kingkey24

so im writing up a pre-lab for class and we have to find the mmol of various compound and i always get stuck when the measurement of compounds are in mL

i have NaOCl (sodium hypochlorite) the FW is 77.44 g/mol and density is 1.083 g/mL..... we are using 18 mL of it.

can someone help me out????

P.S. the experiment is the oxidation of borneol to camphor

Edited by kingkey24

NaOCl is a solid and I somewhat doubt you are using ionic liquids in class. You would be using a solution of some sort, so your question really doesn't need density but does require that you know the concentration of your solution.

its aqueous NaOCl (bleach) and its a 6% concentrated solution

Multiply your volume by the density to cancel out the mL and get just grams. The divide that amount of grams by the molar mass of the compound to cancel out grams and get moles

so im writing up a pre-lab for class and we have to find the mmol of various compound and i always get stuck when the measurement of compounds are in mL

i have NaOCl (sodium hypochlorite) the FW is 77.44 g/mol and density is 1.083 g/mL..... we are using 18 mL of it.

can someone help me out????

P.S. the experiment is the oxidation of borneol to camphor

Multiply your volume by the density to cancel out the mL and get just grams. The divide that amount of grams by the molar mass of the compound to cancel out grams and get moles

Which won't work in this case because the stuff isn't pure hypochlorite.

Incidentally, the "6%" might well be "available chlorine" rather than hypochlorite.

Which won't work in this case because the stuff isn't pure hypochlorite.

Incidentally, the "6%" might well be "available chlorine" rather than hypochlorite.

well if that doesnt work could you help me find out what does?

correct me if im wrong but isnt bleach noting more than NaOCl dissolved in water