How many things in things?

Schrödinger's hat

Just one of those slightly interesting, but not very meaningful things that you notice from time to time.

Average human cell is a few microns.

[math](10^{-6}m)^3\times 1000kg\times 10^{27}[/math]

Gives somewhere on the order of 10^12 atoms

about 10^13 cells in a human body.

about 10^10 humans on earth

about 10^11 to 10^12 stars in the galaxy

about 10^12 galaxies in the observable universe

about 10^10 transistors in a modern cpu. Up to 10^12 if you count storage as part of the computer.

So somewhere between 10 billion and 10 trillion things make a thing that acts in a completely new way.

Edited by Schrödinger's hat

Just one of those slightly interesting, but not very meaningful things that you notice from time to time.

Average human cell is a few microns.

[math](10^{-6}m)^3\times 1000kg\times 10^{27}[/math]

Gives somewhere on the order of 10^12 atoms

about 10^13 cells in a human body.

about 10^10 humans on earth

about 10^11 to 10^12 stars in the galaxy

about 10^12 galaxies in the observable universe

about 10^10 transistors in a modern cpu. Up to 10^12 if you count storage as part of the computer.

So somewhere between 10 billion and 10 trillion things make a thing that acts in a completely new way.

When astrophysicts describe a star, they explain the phenomena (the star) from the molecular or even atomic size directly to the size of the star, jumping over the human or even planetary size.

IIRC some may even explain the whole universe directly from the subatomic level.

When astrophysicts describe a star, they explain the phenomena (the star) from the molecular or even atomic size directly to the size of the star, jumping over the human or even planetary size.

IIRC some may even explain the whole universe directly from the subatomic level.

Point. There are more like 10^57 atoms in a star.

I guess things in things isn't really what I was getting at.

More like.....a trillion is what takes us from a scale where we speak about things one way to a scale where we speak about them differently.

Point. There are more like 10^57 atoms in a star.

I guess things in things isn't really what I was getting at.

More like.....a trillion is what takes us from a scale where we speak about things one way to a scale where we speak about them differently.

How many atoms in the smallest possible crystal?

Edited by michel123456