Vibration sensors.

nudaveritas

At work I started a course about vibration sensing but unfortunately the first half an hour i wasn't present.

a question I was wondering about was ''why would you need to determine the vibrations in the conservation of Pre-Historic temples?''

I mean, does vibration (even the slightest), affect building and/or artifacts in any way or another ?

thanks.

.... ''why would you need to determine the vibrations in the conservation of Pre-Historic temples?''

I will say because of possibility of resonance.

Even a weak vibration in resonance with an architectural element can cause damage that could escalate if the resonating architectural element is in critical support of other elements, risking the integrity of the whole, pre-historic or modern, temple or other.

Grab your automobile antenna by the base and push-pull it at varied cadence. There will be a critical frequency in your push-pull that will make the tip to shake widely even if your push-pull action is only a fraction of a millimeter. If the antenna was a pillar, you better be away from the falling elements.