Ocean acidification

ltapia

Terrible, this ocean acidification is huge! Life underwater will be in serious danger if it keeps growing and growing!

“When Earth started to warm 17,000 years ago, terminating the last glacial period, atmospheric CO2 levels rose from 190 parts per million (ppm) to 280 ppm over 6,000 years. Marine ecosystems had ample time to adjust. Now, for a similar rise in CO2 concentration to the present level of 392 ppm, the adjustment time is reduced to only 100 – 200 years.” From United Academics

Terrible, this ocean acidification is huge! Life underwater will be in serious danger if it keeps growing and growing!

"When Earth started to warm 17,000 years ago, terminating the last glacial period, atmospheric CO2 levels rose from 190 parts per million (ppm) to 280 ppm over 6,000 years. Marine ecosystems had ample time to adjust. Now, for a similar rise in CO2 concentration to the present level of 392 ppm, the adjustment time is reduced to only 100 – 200 years." From United Academics

It would nice if we create a new Noah's ark and save endangered species.

"When Earth started to warm 17,000 years ago, terminating the last glacial period, atmospheric CO2 levels rose from 190 parts per million (ppm) to 280 ppm over 6,000 years. Marine ecosystems had ample time to adjust. Now, for a similar rise in CO2 concentration to the present level of 392 ppm, the adjustment time is reduced to only 100 – 200 years." From United Academics

...Understanding Earth's Deep Past: Lessons for Our Climate Future (2011)

"By the end of this century, without a reduction in emissions, atmospheric CO2 is projected to increase to levels that Earth has not experienced for more than 30 million years."

--p.5 http://www.nap.edu/o...id=13111&page=9

You might also search "oceanic anoxic event" to see where such a course leads....

===

Athena!

But there is not enough time or money or space to build another Ark. The Ark we are currently shepherding through the heavens is just a little leaky. We can fix this, and sail forth happily ...or not...!

Stewarding our Dominion, managing the REDOX balance and the pH balance of this biogeochemosphere, is our purpose; the natural law of Gaia and evolution--to maintain homeostasis, balance, and sustainable prosperity and providence.

Time for a Global Perspective!

~ ;)

Edited by Essay

Thanks for the link and the diagram iNow. It is curous that between 2000 and roughly 2005, there is a substantial drop in carbon dioxide air comcentrations and a subsequent rise in pH. I wonder what humanity were doing right at the time and why can't we replicate this trend? Hope you are well mate.

Thanks for the link and the diagram iNow. It is curous that between 2000 and roughly 2005, there is a substantial drop in carbon dioxide air comcentrations and a subsequent rise in pH. I wonder what humanity were doing right at the time and why can't we replicate this trend? Hope you are well mate.

Global economic activity might be related to CO2 output. I tried to find some charts to reflect that, but "personal disposable income" seemed to match best:

post-47272-0-13961200-1327745789_thumb.gif

But seriously, it looks as if global "recessions" are related to CO2 emissions; not too surprisingly....

~ ohmy.gif )

Loved the chart Essay :lol:

The link between global recession and also carbon dioxide outputs is, no doubt, multi-faceted. However, the global recession would have been in swing about three years now and it would be interesting to read the new figures. However, IMHO, there is a need for a serious re-think about our wasteful, luxury-laden culture with an inappropriate education system.

I think it is about time that we start agreeing with the economist Schumacher and start thinking about work with personal meaning and industries with sustainability as a starting point instead of mass manufacturing capacity.

Link

I don't want to derail the thread so I will look for some more recent references on oceanic acidification.

Edited by jimmydasaint

...Understanding Earth's Deep Past: Lessons for Our Climate Future (2011)

"By the end of this century, without a reduction in emissions, atmospheric CO2 is projected to increase to levels that Earth has not experienced for more than 30 million years."

--p.5 http://www.nap.edu/o...id=13111&page=9

You might also search "oceanic anoxic event" to see where such a course leads....

===

Athena!

But there is not enough time or money or space to build another Ark. The Ark we are currently shepherding through the heavens is just a little leaky. We can fix this, and sail forth happily ...or not...!

Stewarding our Dominion, managing the REDOX balance and the pH balance of this biogeochemosphere, is our purpose; the natural law of Gaia and evolution--to maintain homeostasis, balance, and sustainable prosperity and providence.

Time for a Global Perspective!

~ ;)

This is the pharaoh's job to keep everything in order. :D Really I like what you said. With today's sciences we have so much potential for creating heaven on earth, but do we have the discipline to do that?

Yea! Jimmy, you are thinking education. :) I wish we would take time out from the political discussions and talk about education. Education is the most important factor. Well, educated people make much better voters, and conduct themselves better too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.