ipod

boris_73

is there any websites which you can download mp3's cheaply because i was going to buy an ipod for christmas the best one i have found is the well known napster that charges £9+ a month and you can download as many music files as you want, the apple website also does it but charges at least £7.50 for an album

napster sounds your best bet if you are willing to spend £9 a month. if not, go somewhere else where you can download a limited number of songs but at a cheaper price.

alternatively you could just buy the CDs and transfer them to your ipod.

you might wanna read the fine print as well. cos companies will put electronic restrictions on what you can do with the mp3s etc. (but something makes me think that even if they did, you can find software on the net to remove the protection)

ok i have just read on napster that you can buy a track for 99p or an album for £9.99, so do you have to pay £9+ for subscription as well as £9.99 for an album or just £9+ who knows about napster, to me either apple.com/uk £7.99 an album or hmv.co.uk £4.99 for 50 tracks sounds alot better if this is the case

£4.99 for 50 tracks is probably gonna be your best bet unless you are a mad mad mad downloader or you hardly download at all.

if you think there will be months where you just dont download, go for a pay per song thingy. it really depends on how much you wanna download songs.

i know also i can get either a 20GB or a 40 GB ipod, but come to think about it i think the 20GB will be plenty that can hold 5000 tracks i dont even think i can name 1000:))) and if i am going to get an ipod i want to at least fill it up 3/4 so the HMV.co.uk is probably the best one that way it will only take me about 8 years to fill it up :)))))))

what is the point of MP3 players i thought the whole purpose of them were to let people get music files very cheaply but looking around all it seems to do is let you buy music from the internet and not go out to buy them ( which i would prefer to do) because it works out at the same cost, plus in order to do that you have to buy a £220 MP3 player, that £5 a month gives you 500 credits its 1 credit to listen to the song 10 credits to download the song and 100 credits to burn the song, and most of the time it will not let you download them only burn them, the whole MP3 system is a con, i have a mini disk and in my opinion they are much better then MP3's

I agree with Boris, I like my minidisc better. I think I can hold 56 hours on a single disc. Each disc costs on 1 dollar. The expandability is awesome, and quite cheap. Now however mp3's are storing so much they may be better.

Listen to bloodhound. Get a nice filesharing program (I use bearshare, works beautifully IMO). Or join a newsgroup.

WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU WANT TO BUY MUSIC!?!?!?! urhurm...excuse me :). Look into something like Napster, or ITunes.

I have a Cruzer Micro MP3 Companion. Basically, it reads flash drives. In my opinion, it is the absolute best mp3 tool ever. you can store anything on the tiny flash drives, then when you turn on the tiny player, it sorts out the audio files, and plays them through your headphones/speakers. You can switch out the flashdrives, so you can hold crap loads of music, and assemble all kinds of playlists. The only problem is battery life. I cant find any rechargable AAA batteries, but if I could, I would give it a 5 stars in stead of the 4.5. But I love it.

A lot of my friends have Ipods, and I like them, but Im not envious. They certainly do have some nice features, and I especially like the huge hard drives, so I would suggest it as well.

I've been amazed at what I can get off Napster for a ridiculously cheap monthly subscription. Stealing is out of the question for me. I did a little piracy when I was a poor, broke college student, but I figure I have no excuses now. Those musicians have a right to be paid. But the high price of CDs is ridiculous -- THIS is the future of music.

It's an imperfect picture, to be sure. DRM is a fascinating area of development, and still very much in need of work. I've bought books and then had to deal with the frustration of not being able to read them again because I reloaded the operating system. Quite frustrating. But the potential for dealing with these problems is there, it's just a matter of getting the work done.

By the way, that's a good comparison right there. I reloaded Windows on my main PC over the last couple of days. Adobe F'ed me over and I lost my electronic copy of Bob Woodward's "Plan of Attack", which I downloaded back when it first came out. On the other hand, all of my Napster music (the stuff I got for "free" with the monthly fee) was fine -- I could play it again right after signing in with the Napster software. That's perfect.

(Another thing I like about Napster is that they have a decent collection of classical and opera. I can throw on a complete opera and get the value of my monthly payment back almost immediately.)

BEFORE YOU BUY: go to http://www.iriver.com .

They are like super awesome versions of the ipod. For the same price, you get a device which actully works with the PC right out of the box, with a much better amplifier, AWESOME equalizer, and either a REMOTE or the ability to download and view pictures taken with ANY digital camera using USB 2.0. Dont forget FM playback and recording with NO AFTER-PURCHASE ADD-ONS. Look through all the iriver harddrive-based players and be amazed.

And the one thing iriver has over everyone else is constantly updated firmware upgrades to keep with all the current file formats.

Believe me, I have used both and any iriver beats any ipod hands down. They are great, and it's too bad Apple has the ability to spread its evil so effectively. It's like people haven't heard of harddrive based players before. There is more than one brand of these folks. Don't get sucked in by advertisements which have absolutely nothing to do with the product, and much to do with proffessional dancers acting like recently castrated monkeys in front of a blue screen.