Sound energy

Vedprakash

We can say that sound energy is just a kinetic energy because sound waves cause the air particles to vibrate which is sensed by our eardrums and thus via sensory nerves they are interpreted by our mind.we also know that energy is neither created nor destroyed.SO WHERE DOES THIS SOUND ENERGY GO?I also read somewhere that this energy is converted into heat energy.but i want to know it is converted into heat energy of what?i guess that they are converted into heat energy of air particles because the particles of air collide each other when sound wave passes through them.correct me if i am wrong.

Edited by Vedprakash

We can say that sound energy is just a kinetic energy because sound waves cause the air particles to vibrate which is sensed by our eardrums and thus via sensory nerves they are interpreted by our mind.we also know that energy is neither created nor destroyed.SO WHERE DOES THIS SOUND ENERGY GO?I also read somewhere that this energy is converted into heat energy.but i want to know it is converted into heat energy of what?i guess that they are converted into heat energy of air particles because the particles of air collide each other when sound wave passes through them.correct me if i am wrong.

You appear to have answered your own question :D

Sound waves in your ear will dissipate, and the kinetic energy will become heat. Both the air, the ear drum, and whatever else vibrated beause of the sound will be (ever so slightly) heated. The kinetic energy is tiny, and the heat will be practically impossible to measure.

The kinetic energy is tiny, and the heat will be practically impossible to measure.

Indeed. 80 dB, which is roughly the level of yelling, transfers just 0.0001W of power per square meter.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-soundlevel.htm

Check out this example

http://www.physicscentral.com/explore/poster-coffee.cfm

Sound waves in your ear will dissipate, and the kinetic energy will become heat. Both the air, the ear drum, and whatever else vibrated beause of the sound will be (ever so slightly) heated. The kinetic energy is tiny, and the heat will be practically impossible to measure.

Conventions

Sound energy (kinetic energy) -> Heat->.....................

Next What?

Decay? (Become lower energy)

Conventions

Sound energy (kinetic energy) -> Heat->.....................

Next What?

Decay? (Become lower energy)

Heat is the lowest.

But high temperature heat can disspiate into lower energy heat, until it's dissipated so much that it is ambient heat. Then it stays at that level.

Heat is the lowest.

But high temperature heat can disspiate into lower energy heat, until it's dissipated so much that it is ambient heat. Then it stays at that level.

Do we know about this, by our observations or experience?

Do we know about this, by our observations or experience?

Both.

You can just measure it - so by observation. But I'm sure you have enough experience to just believe me without measurements. The example I wil give below is so common that you will instantly recognize it.

If you make a cup of tea (using boiling water), and you leave it... it will cool down.

At first, you have heat energy at higher temperature. But that hot cup of tea will heat up the air around you and the table it is standing on, and it will cool down itself. The heat is dissipating.

This goes really quickly at first (when the tea is hot), but slower at the end (when it cools down). But at some point, the tea will be (nearly) the same as the room temperature. All the heat has gone into the air, and the table it is standing on.

You can do this with any object. If you make it warm, and you leave it, it will eventually cool to the ambient temperature.

Both.

You can just measure it - so by observation. But I'm sure you have enough experience to just believe me without measurements. The example I wil give below is so common that you will instantly recognize it.

If you make a cup of tea (using boiling water), and you leave it... it will cool down.

At first, you have heat energy at higher temperature. But that hot cup of tea will heat up the air around you and the table it is standing on, and it will cool down itself. The heat is dissipating.

This goes really quickly at first (when the tea is hot), but slower at the end (when it cools down). But at some point, the tea will be (nearly) the same as the room temperature. All the heat has gone into the air, and the table it is standing on.

You can do this with any object. If you make it warm, and you leave it, it will eventually cool to the ambient temperature.

Thank you for response.

Here discussion is going on about the sound energy and you also said sound converts to heat to normal temparature.

I was asked about this sound energy. The final convertion of sound will be observed/experienced or not