partial charge vs complete charge...

albertlee

Well, I think so.., as an example from one of my thread,

NH3, an amonia molecule, has 3 hydrogen pulling the Nitrogen atom, which Nitrogen is the lone pair... and if it is near a hydrogen ion, it shall be attracted to it... hence forming a NH4 ion...

but on the other hand, how come the lone pair of water cant make an ion out of this way?

Actually Albert, it does. Water is constantly forming H+ (hydronium ions) and OH- (hydroxide) ions by combinding to make H3O and OH. However, these two cancel each other out giving water its ph of 7.

Acidic and Basic substances have an imbalance in its hydronium and hydroxide ion equalibrium.

Plus, the number of atoms that do combinde is so small and happens so quickly that we cannot see it.

He probably meant that the H2O attracts the H+, which "combines" the two to make H3O+. :P And then, when H3O+ meets his long lost love OH-, two water molecules are born.

Need... sleep... chemistry at about 1:20 AM... not good.

Would any molecule with partial charge ever bonded with any ion with a complete charge?

Yes, coordintation complexes. Neutral ligands form bonds with metal cations and those bonds often have covalent character, mostly for the d-block metals only. Like [Fe(H20)6]3+.

He probably meant that the H2O attracts the H+' date=' which "combines" the two to make H3O+. :P And then, when H3O+ meets his long lost love OH-, two water molecules are born.

Need... sleep... chemistry at about 1:20 AM... not good.[/quote']

Is H3O an ion????

name me a compound form with this ion...

Secondly, how water molecules do not combine in this way, as far as I know, the water molecules have a partial positive charge on Oxygen atom, and partial negative charge on Hydrogen atoms.... so, the partial charge attracts to the oposite partial charge of another water molecule...

ALbert

Is H3O an ion????

name me a compound form with this ion...

Hydronium ion H3O+ is an ion.

But I don't know whether H3O is in reality or not.

Like there is no sulpur oxide but has sulphur dioxide.

the water molecules have a partial positive charge on Oxygen atom, and partial negative charge on Hydrogen atoms

Not oxygen has a partial positive but a partial negative.

Hydrogen atom has a partial positive charge.

IT is that the water molecule do.

One WatER molecule attract the other one as they are polar molecule , so the attraction is not small ( but not very large).

So hydronium ion and hydroxide ion form but the composition is not very high.

There is a water decompose constant.

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Dissociation_constant

I haven't learnt the acid-base reaction, now learning the displacement reaction, so I can't tell you what the product it after it combine with something, like metal...

"Hydronium is the cation that forms from water in the presence of hydrogen ions. These hydrons do not exist in a free state: they are extremely reactive and are solvated by water. An acid is generally the source of these hydrons; however, since water can behave as an acid, hydronium exists even in pure water. This special case of water reacting with water to produce hydronium (and hydroxide) ions is commonly known as the self-ionization of water. The resulting hydronium ions are few and short-lived."