Free time for a physicist?

Vay

So I want to major in physics, but I don't care about the degree as much as the stuff I will learn. At least the degree will somewhat help me in finding some job. I am still young and I don't know what road to take, because apart from learning physics, I also want to write novels, become a painter, and hopefully have time to write or play music. I have played in a band before and I am pretty sufficient at drawing and painting. I have tried writing music, but have put it off since for school work and painting/drawing. I just don't know how much time I would have for these passions if I have a physics related job. On the other hand, I read that most physics graduates don't find a physics related job, so how does this work?

Should I work as an artist and study physics on my spare time, or work as a physicist and do art on my spare time? Is it difficult to learn physics on your own?

I think a majority of people would find it difficult to learn advanced physics on their own because there are many concepts where interaction is going to be needed and times when the laboratory apparatus is far too expensive for an individual wanting to gain practical experience.

Free time is a matter of the kind of job you get. I work 40 hours per week, same as with many other jobs. I have colleagues who have been in bands, colleagues who have written books (predominantly non-fiction), colleagues who teach night classes. Having kids is what tends to eat into their free time.

Working in academia or in some other salaried position is a different experience, where you work until the job is done, and the concept of overtime doesn't apply, at least not in the same way.

Depends why you want to do physics. If you like to think about the universe and how the world works then go for physics as a hobby - professional physics is not really like that on an everyday basis. If you like to build experimental devices, test for yourself if the equations you were being told are correct, and enjoy solving mathematical puzzles and problems then a proper university education in physics may be the better route. Particularly logic skills (not to be confused with intuition, which in everyday language is a synonym) and an understanding of the basic principle of natural sciences (that experiment and not good arguments ultimately dictate what is correct and what is wrong) are hard to obtain by yourself. While studying physics and working as a physicists required some discipline to really do the workload you have, I think having hobbies such as painting suit such a disciplined life very well to get your head clear and keep mental balance.

Thanks, I will not get married and have kids.

The reason why I want to major in physics is not that I can wear it as a badge and show it off. I am genuinely interested in the wonders of our universe, but I will take the degree since it comes "free" for majoring in physics. I figured I only have one life, and before I die, I want to know as much about the world that has created me as possible. I know what I want to do, but the problem comes in what I want to do for money to support my life. I have had this question in my head since high school and it is a continuing question even until now in my life.

If it matters, I am currently 18 years old. I went to college right after high school. I plan to transfer from art and advertising to CUNY Hunter College for a physics degree, and they accept on average 1/4 students who sign up for their school. I got my acceptance letter already. Hopefully those ahead of me in experience know what I might fall into.

Thanks for the replies.

Edited by Vay