Best Free Forum Software

Cap'n Refsmmat

• 1 month later...

Okay, now I'm seriously looking for one.

Thing is, on the phpBB support forum, it seems like everyone is being hacked... how safe is it?

Are there any good alternatives that are safe?

This would be a forum with perhaps several thousand members. I don't need a lot of advanced features. What would be best?

The user group management is not very well thought out, and there is no support for default groups (yet- this is planned for the next version).

The permissions sytem is a right mess.

You can't pick members from a list, so unless you can alter properties by group you have to type their names in one by one and make changes.

Et cetera.

What, in your opinion, is the best free forum software that can be placed on your own domain name (instead of yourforum.freeforums.com, it can be at yourforum.com)?

I have had experience with most forum software. I have to say vBulletin is the best commercial forum software and PHPBB Plus is the best free forum software.

One thing I don't like about PHPBB is how you have to set premissions for each forum and stuff like that after you have created the forum. I have to say that Invision has beat PHPBB on that one.

• 4 weeks later...

Answer "not really, or at least not until you have lots of members".

As Jordie said, the per-forum permissions can be a real bitch, especially when you're trying to work out which permissions (user, group or forum) take precedence.

When 2.2 comes out it should make your life a bit easier. Although at the current development rate, that'll take about another 97,000 years.

Actually they're skipping 2.2 and going straight to 3.0 now, because of the compatibility. Just wait until the end of February, they say.

• 1 month later...

Well, I took everybody's advice and went with phpBB. I'll say, it's quite nice really. I like how much of a variety of skins and mods there are, although the administration panel is kind of lacking in options. Fortunately, I think that by the time my forum gets big, phpBB 3.0 will be out (I hope).

• 3 years later...

when I first started I was using phpBB2, and now I upgraded to phpBB3 and I must say phpBB3 is very good.

What I love about phpBB, is how you can just customize the hell out of it, vBulletin, IPB... you can also do the same, but with phpBB (at least to me) the sky is the limit... plus its free.

Edited by Sayonara³