New Zombie story based on hard science.

CordyceptZombie

Haha. Stalker.

laugh.gifCommon it's not that bad. Plus I like you guys... I'm just trying to fit in. My brain is filled with science and zombies what else could I have done? I am just learning this forum thing. This is the best run one I've seen and you guys are the only one's that figured me out. Does this mean you'll read my book? I really need some smart people to talk about it with. Anyone into fungi, biology, travel, and a little scary?

laugh.gifCommon it's not that bad. Plus I like you guys... I'm just trying to fit in. My brain is filled with science and zombies what else could I have done? I am just learning this forum thing. This is the best run one I've seen and you guys are the only one's that figured me out. Does this mean you'll read my book? I really need some smart people to talk about it with. Anyone into fungi, biology, travel, and a little scary?

Since we've established a friendship on here, tell Paula I say hi.

Zombies=cool. I'll check out your book.

OMG you guys are so nice!

I posted it to one other thread but I won't do that anymore. I will say the book is selling faily well but I'm not finding a lot of people that are willing to talk to me about it. Maybe people feel a little intimidated or possibly like it's to much like a book report. I just happen to think it's an interesting subject and I am working on the sequel so we'll see.

Paula says hello Apolinaria (sp?) she likes that you said hi, haha. She is right next to me watching "The Shining".

Thanks for checking out the book let me know what you think, maybe an essay? J/Klaugh.gif

Ever heard of the black zombie myth?

The conspiracy is that the whole idea of zombies- the Hollywood kind not the voodoo kind- came from a real black plague era infection. This parasitic infection, spawned in brackish, unsanitary 14th century London, can take over the host's will and, in some cases, their consciousness to serve the organism's own agenda: feeding on and living in humans. A lot of cultural leftovers come from the black plague: children's nursery rhymes like "London Bridge" for instance. There is also some evidence that the idea of being possessed by a demon comes from these infections since, at that time, physicians couldn't know about germs. There is one demon, who stole the name of a Greek goddess, that is known as Eurynome: prince of death, and eater of corpses. A controversial theory is that parasitic fungi have been known to "animate" dead animals by perpetuating the cells' "motors" or what makes them work. The fungi can preserve them and keep them functioning even after, technically, the host is no longer considered alive by any conventional definition; hence the living dead.

Edited by CordyceptZombie

• 2 weeks later...

Wade Davis discoverd the "Zombie" drug when looking for a new anasthetic as being Tetradotoxin, what effect does this have on the human nervous system? just an aside on the zombie thing

As far as I can tell the human zombie fungus would supplement the neurons by first attaching the fungi cells (which are much smaller than the neurons) to the biology of the neurons/glials and would live within each of the human cells. The fungus, through trillions of generations, must have adapted to "plug in" to the human cells manipulating them chemically to release the desired transmitters and electrical charge in order to communicate to the other fungi cells within the host and controlling the host in order to propagate the fungi species: find more hosts as well as sustenance for the host's body. The infection may or may not affect the consciousness of the host depending on the host's resistance and the parasite's use for that particular human. It would seem the fungus, working with the human host, could become quite intelligent once it has formed a symbiotic relationship with the neuron's complex network. The complex behavior of the fungus and the wide variation of effects it would have had on humans suggests it's extremely xenomorphic.