Flying Zombie Mice

VendingMenace

Actually, Spaceman's idiotic rantings have brought up a useful question:

The neurons in the dish are perpetually re-wiring themselves, right? And, eventually, they make the circuits needed, right? So, how does one stop them changing away from that pattern?

Also, how do they form the circuits needed, as opposed to some other form in which the plane just does perpetual barrel-rolls or some-such? Is there something being done to "reward" or "punish" (I use the terms loosely) the neural network for flying or crashing the plane, respectively?

Mokele

The mechanism they used for structuring the neurons (if there was one) isn't clearly described.

As for how the neurons learn what to do, finding out how that works is one of the objectives of the study:

By taking these cells and giving them back a "body," the researchers hope to uncover how the neurons communicate with each other and eventually translate that knowledge to develop novel computing architecture...

..."We know some of the rudimentary rules," said DeMarse. "We just don't quite understand the language that they use to do their computations. We can extract the general features from it to control the aircraft but there's a lot more information buried in the signals that they are using, and we simply don't know what that is. So there's a lot more to do in terms of understanding the language of the network."

your kidding right...how many conversations you had recently with mice.Dr doolittle is only fiction you know

Yes, I was kidding :D . Although, if these articles are true, it would make for some killer AI in games.

• 4 months later...

ROFL talk about confuddled hehehehe I read this topic as VendingMenace Flying Zombie Mice, and had to look mind boggling with thoughts of mice high on sweeties from vending machines turning zombie and flying out of the machines attacking people. I do appologise VendingMenace, I guess I just have an overactive imagination lol

Ah man, and I was so excited.

By: Spaceman

I tried a similar experiment with my hamster,whilst still alive i tied it down to a peice of cardboard with cellotape,cut away with a scalpel from my microscope kit a portion of its skull.Taking two pieces of copper fuse wire i gently inserted each in the temporal lobes of its brain.i made a crude jack at the other end and plugged this into the 2 player gamepad socket of my playstation.

Is anyone else very distrubed?

LOL! Wouldn't his hamster have died of blood loss and brain loss?

Flying Zombie Mice?.........I thought it was about zombie mice whose arm cells had mutated into crude wings and were controlled by a mad Al-Qaeda scientist! This thread is disappointing :-D

A small question, does a biological brain have infinite memory and processing power?

i guess that a couple of cells in a petri dish wont complain at being pressed into work as a pilot, but if this technology kicks off and becomes more developed, will we eventually be able to custom build brains to control our machines? would that mean that the machines could feel? i dont think id be happy flying in a plane that i knew could feel and was being pressed, without its consent, into serving me (or, for that matter, i wouldnt be comfortable getting into what could possibly be, by dint of being able to experience emotions, a terminally depressed plane).

LOL! Wouldn't his hamster have died of blood loss and brain loss?

Flying Zombie Mice?.........I thought it was about zombie mice whose arm cells had mutated into crude wings and were controlled by a mad Al-Qaeda scientist! This thread is disappointing :-D

A small question' date=' does a biological brain have [i']infinite[/i] memory and processing power?

I'll answer your question with another:

Who's smarter, you or the cat with a fraction the brain mass?

Cat says, "well, obviously there are other factors involved, such as the environment in which one develops, ability to control one's surroundings, and necessity to appropriate a signifigant intelligence, but initial raw computing power does rely on the amount of computations able to be made at any one time, the amount of which are determined by neurons allocated for specific tasks. Obviously there is a finite amount of neurons in the brain.

"Then again, I failed Basic Neuro-Biology."

[edit]

Am I correct in assuming much of the processing of brains is eliminated through mere connections being made between simmilar conceps, like apples and apple pie?

I think processing and memory needs to be more intriquately tied in computers before the "language" of brains can be adaquately adapted for use artificial computers. That is not to say we wouldn't benefit from the research. That may infact be the key to what I'm talking about.

Who's smarter, you or the cat with a fraction the brain mass?

I think its more related to the number of nerve cells rather than the size or mass. Elephants have bigger brains, but not as many nerve cells that make up thier brain, so they aren't as smart (or at least thats what the fact of the day was on a discovery channel show when I was 12 :D )

I think its more related to the number of nerve cells rather than the size or mass. Elephants have bigger brains, but not as many nerve cells that make up thier brain, so they aren't as smart (or at least thats what the fact of the day was on a discovery channel show when I was 12 :D )

Actually, elephants are quite smart, but you need to look at the brain size compared to body mass. There is a clear correlation between that ratio and the overall intelligence of the animal.

Apes, elephants and the dolphin family are among the smartest of the animal kingdom, and also have large brain to body mass ratios.