Add another section to these forums

I don't know where this topic would go since I can't post in the forum announcement sections and there doesn't seem to be a "suggestions" section, so I just put it right below the forum announcements.

Although music itself is largely unknown in "how" and "why" something sounds "beautiful" or "scary" or etc, the processes involved with making music are very scientific, and just as you cannot add just any two numbers together to equal "3", you cannot just slap any amount of notes together in any order and make something that sounds modern or sad or happy, which is why there should be a music theory section on this website.

There's also another website that would work quite well with showing examples for this section

www.notessimo.net

Edited by questionposter

I don't know where this topic would go since I can't post in the forum announcement sections and there doesn't seem to be a "suggestions" section, so I just put it right below the forum announcements.

http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/28-suggestions-comments-and-support/

Although music itself is largely unknown in "how" and "why" something sounds "beautiful" or "scary" or etc, the processes involved with making music are very scientific, and just as you cannot add just any two numbers together to equal "3", you cannot just slap any amount of notes together in any order and make something that sounds modern or sad or happy, which is why there should be a music theory section on this website.

The Lounge would be my choice: http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/3-the-lounge/

Alternatively, to discuss the creative process, it might fit in the Psychology section: http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/23-psychiatry-and-psychology/

Or even engineering: http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/17-engineering/

Or computer science, depending on topic type: http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/25-computer-science/

Again, though... I'd put most of those types of threads in the Lounge, myself. YMMV.

Moved to Suggestions, Comments and Support.

I'm curious: is there a lot of good research on the science of music? I can't say I follow the field particularly well.

Generally our criteria for adding a new section is demand: if there are many discussions on the topic, we'll consider opening a new section for it. You might consider starting discussions on your favorite questions in the field to see if there's interest.

Moved to Suggestions, Comments and Support.

I'm curious: is there a lot of good research on the science of music? I can't say I follow the field particularly well.

Generally our criteria for adding a new section is demand: if there are many discussions on the topic, we'll consider opening a new section for it. You might consider starting discussions on your favorite questions in the field to see if there's interest.

The processes of making specific music are very specific. Sure you could wing it if your prodigal or so experienced you don't have to think about it, but music theory really needs it's own section because most of the time you have to know what your doing, especially if your in a band. Most people in good bands have taken some music theory and had ear training or are naturally good with ear training and figuring out all those musical patterns.

Music theory can include a lot of stuff, such as

Triads

7chords

9chords and above

their inversions

the circle of fifths

modulations

suspensions

sub-dominants

instrument transposition

12-tone row

scales and modes

notation

rhythm

nationality

history

harmony and melody

tone

dissonance and consonance

how to control or resolve it

ear training

phrasing

dynamics and shaping

wave mechanics

and a bunch of other stuff.

Edited by questionposter

Not only do I think that the science of music-making along with its psychological/emotional aspects is an appropriate subforum on scienceforums.net, I also find these topics fascinating.

For example, the seemingly artistic shapes/scrolls/etc of violins actually contribute scientifically to its sound production and quality, and that violins produce sound/vibrate in (at least) three different ways.

There's also fun and interesting science with things like Ruben's tubes and Rijke's tubes and who knows what else!

Thank you questionposter for this recommendation, and I hope to see a Science of Music subforum here soon.

Edited by ewmon

Allow me to be the opposition in this discussion...

I am able to take this entire thread, and find/replace "music" with "thermodynamics", "agriculture" or "architecture", and have exactly the same result. All those fields are worthy of long and interesting discussions.

We have multiple places where you can fit discussions about music. The "Other Sciences" forum, "The Lounge", or if it is really alternative music, maybe "Speculations". :)

I have nothing against a music subforum in particular... but if we are going to expand SFN, then I think there are more popular topics which might need a place of their own.

Allow me to be the opposition in this discussion...

I am able to take this entire thread, and find/replace "music" with "thermodynamics", "agriculture" or "architecture", and have exactly the same result. All those fields are worthy of long and interesting discussions.

We have multiple places where you can fit discussions about music. The "Other Sciences" forum, "The Lounge", or if it is really alternative music, maybe "Speculations". :)

I have nothing against a music subforum in particular... but if we are going to expand SFN, then I think there are more popular topics which might need a place of their own.

Well, thermodynamics is a constituent of physics, and agriculture, there sort of is already it's own sub-topic, even though its a constituent of ecology, and architecture, well maybe that should get it's own section too, unless you can break all of it down into purely physics and math. What is music a constituent of? It can't be completely art because there's usually many areas of precision, but it's not exactly science because it's still emotional and not completely understood.

Actually, perhaps the "other sciences" section should just plain be more complex and include individual sections for all these other sciences, because even for something like agriculture, you need to know a lot of things to be good at it.

Edited by questionposter

• 2 weeks later...