Methanol.

jsatan

I'm in need for some methanol, I've read that this is in white spirits here in the UK but then I've read that it isn't.

I know that there is 5% in mentholated spirits, I'm thinking of distilling this out using a water bath and all the rest of piping etc.

Just wondering if there's a better source anywhere?

I'm in the UK.

The purple stuff is most likly "mentholated spirits".

I'll check BandQ tomorrow for the bbq started.

As mentholated spirits is only 5-10% methanol I'm not going to get much, :(

but its only about £2.50 for 2li, and the rest can be used for something, lol.

jsatan if you do go down to B&Q tommoro post here if they do sell methanol there for fire starters if so im going to nip down to my nearest one and buy some, that is the clear one not the purple one i am going on about by the way :)

Yeah will do, :)

I know some starter fluid I had before may have been that but must of been mixed with something because it needed a wick to burn, and methanol doesnt.

I'll let you know as soon as I do.

And another sad thing is that labpack shop sells it for £6.50 2li, grrrrr its like putting a kid in a sweet shop and tell them no you're not allowed anything.

LOL that is exactly what i think, i also think the owner of that company must be some sick sadist, who gets a kick out of knowing that there are prople who want to buy chemicals from there but car'nt due to the amount you will get and how suspicious it looks

I've been and I couldnt see any bbq stuff, not hard to guess why as its coming winter.

I didnt think they would before I went.

But just to let you know that meths is cheaper at wilkos by 75p per 500ml than B&Q

there is going to be a problem with getting say 98% methanol from the metholated spirits which is 1) there is only 10% methanol 2) seperating the other chemicals is going to be very hard if not impossible and 3) it wont really be worth it because out of 1ltr you will only get 100ml which is not a lot, i guess we will have to look out for another source

I gave it a try to distil it today, as iv got all I need (made most my self) but its not easy, I wasn’t getting anything of until over 90C below that it was too slow to work.

I was using a water bath to regulate the temperature batter.

it`s nothing personal honestly, it`s just that when I hear certain Chem names mentioned, Alarm bells start ringing :)

I wouldn`t be doing my Job here properly if they didn`t :)

check this out: http://www.chemicalland21.com/arokorhi/petrochemical/Acetaldehyde.htm

http://www.epa.gov/chemfact/s_acetal.txt

you should be able to work it out from these :)

it's ok and you are doing a great job i would also like to say is there anything you don't know:)), and i understand why you thought i might be making PETN because from reading those i see it is used in making Pentaerythritol which is the main ingrident for PETN, and thank you very much for posting those links